Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stove pipe taken out by roof avalanche
btimc
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 17:19 - Edited by: btimc

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions from people who may have had this problem.
We bought a small cabin last spring. It was missing the stove pipe above the roof, we had assumed it was from a wind storm. after an unusually snowy winter a build up of 3 to 4 feet of snow took out the new stove pipe.
Unfortunately the person who built the cabin had the wood stove built under the low side of the roof.

I'm now debating running the pipe out the side of the cabin or doing some roof modifications to keep the snow from building up against the chimney.

Thanks
stove_pipe2.jpg
stove_pipe2.jpg
Stove_pipe1.jpg
Stove_pipe1.jpg

btimc
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 17:22 - Edited by: btimc

one more pic
stove_pipe.jpg
stove_pipe.jpg

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 18:22

I installed a snow deflector above my chimney. Mine is basically a wedge that is about 2 foot high. When the snow slides it splits on the wedge and leaves the chimney behind. I will look and see if I have any pics of it.

btimc
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 18:44

Thanks, I wasn't aware those existed, but was designing one in my head.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 19:11

Google "chimney snow diverter" You may even be able to find one to match the roofing color. Also how high above the roof did the chimney rise? If 5 feet or more you need brace rods as well.

btimc
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 19:54

it's a 4' chimney rise, but will brace it as well. Just incase we get another freak snow year. thanks
Hopefully someone learns from my mistake!

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 21:29

Here's a PDF from Ideal Roofing on Snow Guards, hopefully that will help
Chimney_SnowGuard.p.pdfAttached file: Chimney Snow Guard PDF

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 21:52

Easy fix, the installer instaleld mine w ith large support pipes. Galvanized conduit pinched flat at the ends, achored on the pipe and the roof near the top. here is a sno-jack also, this is basically a gusset/support that will slice the snow if ti slides also, there is brackets you can put up there that will hold the snow in place. I like to slide it off, so the snow jack is the ticket.

He used 1/4" metal conduit, pinched at the ends flat, holes drilled, then another section 1" and it slides into the other to make them adjustable in length, then a jamb bolt is welded where they overlap and its tightened.

I have never had an issue at all. He said I wouldnt. He has been installing these over there is big snow country for years.
P1020647.JPG
P1020647.JPG

btimc
# Posted: 9 Jan 2017 23:50

Thanks everyone.
I will probably go with a combination of the snow wedge and bracing. After seeing the power of what the snow did I'm all for overkill. It ripped apart the welds on the stainless steel flashing and crumpled the double walled stainless pipe.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 00:48

I made one for my plumbing stack because I was worried about snow taking that out.
DSCN0216.JPG
DSCN0216.JPG

ClimberKev
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 09:22

I added a Stack-Saver to the chimney on our pole shed a couple years ago. So far so good. Next time I'll try to save a few bucks by making my own.
StackSaver.jpg
StackSaver.jpg

Atlincabin
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 20:30

Somewhat related: on a house I built some 30 years ago, I vented all my plumbing out the sides of the building rather than through the roof, mainly because of the snow issues. Worked perfectly well. My philosophy is the fewer roof penetrations, the better both for snow as well as leak issues.

My two cents.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 18:34 - Edited by: bldginsp

Snow splitter and bracing. The splitter was available from the chimney manufacturer, in this case DuraVent, as was the bracing. I think bracing alone is not enough if you get heavy snow. The OPs photos show the reality- chimneys and flashings are thin sheet metal that rips like tin foil when enough weight is placed against it. Splitters are essential if there will be any substantial snow loading against the chimney and flashing.
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 19:58

I see your roof pitch isnt that steep. I suspect it will pile deeper before it slides off. Mine is steep, no real snow builds up on it. Also, its tough to have getters without at least a snow jack stops near the lower part of the roof. This would preserve your chimney too, put a few just above the stove pipe and more along the edge to preserve your gutters. I didnt put gutters on my roof for this reason.

btimc
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 13:25

We have gutters to collect rainwater. Plan on repairing them every spring, I was surprised to see they were still attached! I'm nervous about keeping snow on the roof, the pile that slid off was well over my head. I'm hoping the wedge will allow the snow to slide without putting pressure on the chimney pipe.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 13:56

If its not real steep, maybe just a snow guard above the stove pipe, let the rest slide off. Spray the roof with "Pam" ?? Hey, the wife said as a kid, they would spray pam on the underside of their mower and grass never stuck to the deck and would bag much better.

Yes, if you get deep snow build up and then it turns to rain, rain soaked snow gets extremely heavy.

I wonder if setting your gutters lower on the fascia might help to preserve them??

Just thinking out loud.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 13:39

Toyota , I did just that with my gutters ( sat them straight with the roof line) and did not have any problems so far. (2nd winter) although we did not get any snow worthwhile this winter yet. A small amount of water probably does goes out over the top during heavy downpours but for the most part all of it still goes in the gutters.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.