Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Metal counter tops..
Asher
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 20:26

I'm trying to entertain ideas about counter tops in our cabin. I was leaning towards concrete, but right now cooper and/or sheet metal is getting my attention. I have seen some ways to distress these metals, and I like the looks..

Questions:
1-Has anyone played with making metal counter tops (kitchen or bath)?

2-Does anyone know what chemical this guy is using to give this sheet metal a cooper tint? I don't have any problem buying his product, but if I can buy it locally it would make it a lot easier...

https://youtu.be/RZezJnmt9a4

https://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/steel-patinas/copper-fx/

Thanks in advance..

DaveBell
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 21:26 - Edited by: DaveBell

Quoting: Asher
Does anyone know what chemical this guy is using

Muriatic Acid, used to clean concrete, masonry, etc. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Asher
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 23:18

I am familiar with the muriatic acid. But that will only turn the metal darker and bring out the iron. I just don't know what he's using to get the copper color.

DaveBell
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 23:52

https://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/steel-patinas/copper-fx/

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 13:32

Just something to consider, there is darn good reason to use Stainless Steel as a countertop and why you see it in commercial environments. There is also very good reason why soft metals like Copper are never used as actual counter tops, with or without coatings. You may say, you'll always use a cutting board and that food will never come into contact with the surface but anyone who has done any kitchen duty for more than a year will realize that those two things are literally impossible to do.

Not to put a damper on your creativity but health & safety considerations are always on my mind and when it comes to food preparation areas, this point jump up to the top of the list.

Is it possible to get Tinted / Coloured Stainless ? YES but it is not cheap by any means and not all would be suitable for food handling areas.

Eddy G
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 17:58

I've seen a lot of copper BAR tops...
They can look really nice and hold up okay but require a lot of maintenance and up keep (as far as counter/bar tops that is)...
Some look down right beautiful but your not eating (directly) off a bar top...
I know people have them in kitchens but for all the work, expense and inconvenience that goes with the copper why bother....IMO.
Not sure about aluminum (it won't rust anyway)... cheaper then copper....
Stainless is a great option but cutting and bending it yourself is pretty tough...
No easy answers on this one..... How about metal tiles?... I wonder if that's a thing for counters?

jaransont3
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 18:08

Copper and zinc are naturally anti-microbial and both would and can make great countertops. No issues with food coming in contact with either of them, other possible staining and color changes from acidic foods/juices. I like to call that patina.

We have copper edges on the wooden countertops at our cabin and will be installing zinc countertops this spring during the kitchen remodel of our 1925 Craftsman home in Dearborn.

Check out RotoMetal for materials. URL

Asher
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 11:23

Thanks for the comments guys, I always was under the impression that copper was a great anti-bacteria metal (reason moonshine/whiskey stills are always made with copper), but wasn't commonly used because of high maintenance... I kind of like things that age and get character with stories attached.

I like that idea of copper (with some patina) because I can solder the seams and add more character, drop in a brushed stainless sink and the look of rough cut weathered oak, stone, copper and brushed looks really nice to me...

On the other hand, after looking into cooper, I stumbled across galvanized that can be stained, distressed, with copper tinting accents... This would be much cheaper, and easier to maintain, also it would allow me to tie in tin/metal roofing materials in interior places..

jaransont3, thanks for you response sounds like your already on the path that I am heading towards. Is there a reason your getting rid of the copper during your rehab?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 12:15 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Hi Asher,
Here is the top of my very early zinc Hoosier Cabinet. It's over 100 years old. I've had it for about five years and cleaned the top one time with zinc polish when I bought it. Now I just wipe it with a damp cloth.

I use my cabinet often it sits next to my oven and contains all my baking ingredients, my Kitchenaid mixer sits on the zinc countertop.
Zinc Hoosier pull out counter top
Zinc Hoosier pull out counter top

Asher
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 20:45

Thanks silverwaterlady, looks awesome.. if that surface could tell stories..

jaransont3
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 21:02

Quoting: Asher
jaransont3, thanks for you response sounds like your already on the path that I am heading towards. Is there a reason your getting rid of the copper during your rehab?

Sorry for the confusion. The copper edging is staying on the cabin countertops. The zinc is for our 1925 Craftsman primary residence that doesn't have any countertops right not. That is the kitchen that is being redone.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 13 Jan 2017 22:26

We also had a zinc top on an antique cabinet at our cabin. It was really banged up but did the job.

I once stayed in an old 1920s-30s guest house/cabin with very long copper countertop and sink. Loved the look.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.