Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Planting trees this spring need advise
neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 14:43

I have many wild berries and fruit bushes and or trees at the ranch. The one wild fruit I don't have is plum. I have ordered 30 2 foot bare root plum saplings that will come this spring. I got them through a conservation district for 43$ for the bunch.

The question I want to plant these and not have to dig a hole for every plant. It I use a spade and push it into the ground then push spade away to gap the back side then place bare root behind and then pull spade out. Will this work or what method would you use?

Any other tips would be very helpful.

Just
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 15:50

thats what I do as long as its not to wet. The importent thing is keep the grass and weeds from growing up around the saplings and choking them out .

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 16:00

Hi Just >> thanks I hope that method works. The one problem is I will be planting in some grass. I plan on planting these small trees along an irrigation ditch in hopes that they will get enough water. I can water from the ditch with buckets till they get established. The problem is grass and I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem. Where this is at is very remote area and keeping the grass cut or keeping it black is out of the equation. I have started a few tree this way but have been farther away from the ditch and most die some live. I might have to hope they will live.
Thanks Just

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 17:11 - Edited by: bldginsp

Here are a few suggestions I've gathered from reading about orchards, which I too plan to put in. From my reading, these are ideal preparations for planting:

-even if the soil is high quality, they say it's best to dig a hole and replace the soil in that hole with a mix that has a lot of compost and organic matter. Helps the soil drain but holds some moisture, lets air in there which the roots need.

-digging the holes goes really fast with a boring setup. If you don't have a tractor, rent a hand held unit and you'll cut 30 holes before lunch. I don't even want to think about digging them by hand....

-keep the weeds down by covering the soil around the tree with landscaping filter cloth, which lets water and air through but the weeds can't grow. Or, put down a thick layer of straw.

-set up drip irrigation for at least the first season.

-paint or wrap the trunks so they don't get sunburned, until they get big enough to have thick, protective bark.

-consider protecting each individual tree with fence mesh surrounding it, if deer or rabbits are a possibility, so they can't mow them down.

The orchardists whose stuff I've read say that they do all this ahead of time, so actual planting goes real fast, when it happens.

One other thing is to be sure the species of tree is appropriate for your region- good temperature range, how much cold they need in winter, heat for ripening in summer. Since you got them from a local district you would think they are a species that will do well in your climate, but it's worth checking to be sure. Four trees that like the climate will produce more fruit than 30 that don't.

Post pics to show us how you do it!

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 18:21

Awesome advise! The access to where I need to plant them is rugged terrain. I could get a gas boring machine but I still have the issue of grass etc.

I believe forest service when they plant they have a tree spade witch does about the same thing as what I descried using a trench spade. I have had some luck planting when I can get close to water source but if I plant in the breaks/hills I can keep them alive for that year and the start of the next then they die. It gets very dry and hot and that does them in.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 18:37 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: neb
The question I want to plant these and not have to dig a hole for every plant. It I use a spade and push it into the ground then push spade away to gap the back side then place bare root behind and then pull spade out. Will this work or what method would you use?

Neb, that will work find, its the way foresters replant. Is your PH right for the trees? When its planted, leave it in a little depression or a low spot, this will help hold water and attract water too. Make sure you stomp it down well, little to no air space around the roots. A little starter fertilizer (I'd use a stick or a few granules a little bit around the trunk) and a good watering on initial planting. This also helps to get rid of air space in the roots.

Fruit trees will attract loads of varmints, so dont plant them close to a cabin or home. Also, purple bird poop on all your cars too.

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 18:59

LOL! I will give them a try but like I said once I plant them they are kind of on their own. I will be able to water them at least through the hot months and I hope for the best. there are other trees right where I plan on planting so I would say the soil isn't to bad. I know I should get ground tested but I don't want to get to involved but still I want do everything I the right way but I also have my hands tied because of where it is at.

Thank you

Asher
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 20:43

I don't know why they don't offer these for late fall since it is the best time to plant (mine doesn't either)..

That's how I planted mine, another thing to consider (what I did) is to get some 4in drain tube and cut about 4in long lengths to put around the trees. The main reason for this was to identify where they were so I didn't weed eat or run over them when trimming. When they get big enough to make the tubes tight, just cut them off with a box cutter.

Now I'm going to say something crazy so stop reading now if your not open minded... a long time ago an old timer told me to always use human hair in your tree holes when planting, the reason is because hair slowly release nutrients while it decomposes... I thought he was crazy but I just cut my hair and thought what the heck... Honestly those 3 trees I planted with hair mixed in where the best and most beautiful trees I have ever grown...

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 21:44

Asher >>> that is very interesting to say the least. I just cut my hair today but didn't save one hair. Lol

Asher
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 22:40

I am sure if you went behind the barber shop at closing time, you could dumpster dive all you wanted...

I can honestly say it worked so well I have considered doing this myself, but it almost border lines "serial killer" traits.. I could see getting caught and explaining this one...

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jan 2017 22:55

Having planted a few trees. The technique i learned for bare root planting:

make a deep cut with your spade
T the spade on your first cut, drive deep
When you lean back you'll see a real nice hole open up.

Place your bare root, pull back. Give a good tamp. Done.
Watch the knot. Don't plant too deep. You want to keep the soil level the same as the original.

The time to prepare your soil is usually the fall before.

Beware the soil amendments. Or making a hole of good soil. The roots will fill into the good soil and you end up with a weak root bound tree.

Many critters like fruit trees. Smelly stuff, physical barriers and bright shiny moving things all help.

Good luck.

old243
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 09:24

There are clear plastic tubes available, to protesct seedlings, Any I have seen are probably 4 feet tall, but could be cut shorter, They degrade after a few years , and come off. They would probably need to be staked .Probably set a little into the ground.I have never used them. This would protect against deer and critters munching them. old243

neb
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 12:55 - Edited by: neb

Wildlife will be a problem. The land there now is covered with snow and is all tore up from deer. I will have to fence some of it off or they will not make it. I sure would like to get these plums started. I have wild choke cheery, black gooseberry, june berry and pick all I can to preserve for winter months.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 20:01 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I'd just plant bare foot stock and buy more to improve the odds of an adequate number surviving if you have any doubts.

I've planted thousands of root stock and hundreds (maybe into the thousands) of potted nursery trees and shrubs. The latter is simply a lot of work.

Maybe dump a few cup fills of water in the cut before you pull the spade out.

We have a harsh climate and terrible soil and our old, old plum is doing well in it. Next to it is an American elm planted in the 1950s that would have a near 2' diameter trunk if it were here in the city but out there its trunk hadn't grown much more than 6" across.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 20:45

I have been saving my apple and pear seeds for this very reason.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.