Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Basement question
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Feb 2017 20:21

I have a small addition on my cottage that was built many, many years ago. It has a full foundation with cement block and cement floor. This area is approximately 5.5'x8' and is approximately 5.5' high. I have access to this basement via a hinged "trap door" that I lift up and climb down into via a shortened ladder. I have not really used this area to the max and would like to utilize it for storage and build shelving etc. The problem is that it is uninsulated and therefore is very damp in the hot humid summers and anything stored down there would be subjected to the dampness. I would like to insulate the walls with styrofoam to help control the humidity. My question is...should I insulate the full walls or just below the frost line (3' in our area) and should I insulate the floor. As well would a vent of some sort like a dryer vent be beneficial or would a vent defeat the purpose of the insulation? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 24 Feb 2017 10:16

I'm presently doing something similar. My front porch is a concrete bunker for lack of a better descriptor. In the basement, it is a root cellar. We have constant humidity/moisture/temperature problems. The home builder installed two vents - 1 on the West side, 1 on the East. It is North facing. The West wall is subject to the most moisture/mould issues due to the temperature differential from sunlight, etc...

From all the reading/research I've done, I'm now insulating the ceiling and exterior walls down to ground level, plus a few more inches. My intent will be to seal any gaps with spray foam and tuck tape to minimize any inside air from reaching the exterior foundation walls. Fingers crossed that it works.

I'll follow this thread to see what others may suggest as well, but I'm hopeful that this solution works. I'm tired of wet socks when I have to get something from in there! ;)

Shadyacres
# Posted: 26 Feb 2017 22:38

So Skoot , is this located under your cabin and protected from weather? You are talking about putting the insulation on inside , correct?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2017 06:17

Yes this under the cabin and protected from the elements and is dry aside from the condensation when it's humid. Yes I was planning on putting insulation on the inside walls.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 27 Feb 2017 06:48

Well if it was me , I would insulate entire wall. Probably with a Styrofoam. The type that has the harder surface. I would tapcon it on to the walls. The floor should also be insulated. I saw some places online that say to put a mastic down on floor than lay 2 X 4s down and use stryrofoam between . You have that space you might as well utilize it.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2017 10:16

Yah I would love be able to maximize the space. Thanks for the advice!

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Feb 2017 12:06

Insulation with foam will only go so far and won't really solve condensation issues. If dampness remains between the block & foam, the result will be mould and it get's nasty fast, I made that mistake and suffered for it, so fair warning.

Air circulation will get ambient dampness out and fresh air in which will also help reduce mould growth, you can say that "musty" smell is the dead give away. Simplest would be a small 3" air intake that goes to the floor with a duct and a 3" vent at the top.

It would likely be prudent to clean the block & cement really well first off with something like TSP if there is mould or chalkiness and then seal it. After it's all dry apply the foam top to bottom, 1" likely do well but it's not heated so there's no real gain there, except for the trap door of course.

Just a couple of thoughts I hope helps.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 28 Feb 2017 06:04

Thanks for your thoughts. This is helpful!

Greenland South
# Posted: 28 Feb 2017 17:54

If that were my space I would first spray it down with a encapsulating mould killing product. I've had good success using a product called Concrobium Mould Control. Then I would apply a water proofing or damp proofing product designed for below grade to the floors and walls. Insulating after this is done may help to alleviate the moisture problem, but adding some ventilation to exchange the air regularly will be required.
Placing wood treated or not against concrete without an effective moisture barrier is asking for trouble.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.