Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New old tractor
bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 00:15 - Edited by: bldginsp

I've always wanted one of these since I first saw them, now one is sitting in my garage. It's a 1945 Gibson model A tractor, originally powered by a 6 horsepower Wisconsin engine, but the Briggs on it is a later replacement.

It steers with the large lever on the right, has a 3 speed with reverse transmission and bizarre clutch that is a moveable jack shaft that loosens the belts coming off the engine. Blade up front should move some snow. Also has a tined ripper bar for the rear, which I hope will chop ice on the road.

Rumor is that when they began production in Seattle in 1944, they could not get enough metal to make differentials because of the war, so they scavenged Ford model A differentials from junk yards, altered and repaired them, and fitted them to the tractors.

I'm thinking about converting it to electric.
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

DaveBell
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 02:18

I have that same trailer. Had to replace the tongue with a fully square tube because I jackknifed it with the ATV.
001.JPG
001.JPG
009.JPG
009.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 07:44

Looks like fun, easy to work on. That's no Model A rear end.

Cowracer
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 09:34

Great find. I used to have a strange old mower called Swisher Ride King. About the cleverest piece of mechanical equipment you ever saw.

You sit on the seat with a vertical shaft motor between your legs. From the top of the motor, a V-belt took power forward to a 90 degree gearbox, and from the output of the gearbox to a chain drive to the single front wheel. A belt from the bottom of the motor ran 4 extremely small, fast spinning mower blades and a rotary broom that swept up the clippings.

The genius part was the arraignment of the 90degree gearbox and the front wheel allowed unlimited 360 degree rotation of the front wheel. There was no reverse. To back up, you just spun the steering wheel around till the front tire was facing backwards. I had a truckers knob on the steering wheel and I could run full speed straight up to my fence, whip the wheel around and back out in one motion without stopping. It was truly a zero turn mower as it would pivot on its own length. The rear wheels were just unpowered rollers to keep the ass end off the ground.

It also had no brakes. The 90 degree gearbox was a worm-gear drive of about 15:1, so it was self locking when power was removed. The really clever bit was it had two speeds, all done with belts and pulleys. A knob on the dash (not shown in picture) let you select from the hi or lo range. The black lever next to the steering wheel was the drive bar. Push it forwards to move, pull it back to stop.

The little guy (and it was little, about 32 inches nose-to-tail without the grass catcher installed) would cut grass and make it look like a putting green. Other than the blades and one pulley in the two-speed system, I could get parts for it at the local farm store. All bearings, pulleys, sprockets and whatnot were off the shelf commercial units.

So why don't I own it anymore? Because with one wheel drive, it only worked good on flat lawns. I have a hill (Hump) in my yard that it just wouldn't climb most of the time.

I wish I had room to keep it, it was such a cool little machine. But it had to go to make room for my Deere LA145.

Tim
mower.jpg
mower.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 10:38

My dad had that exact same tractor, I loved it. We had it parked kind of close to the road off the side of our long driveway and I was still in grade school and our bus driver kept asking about it. Must of been early 70's. Anyway, dad sold it to him for $35, I remember he bought it for $20. I used to play on it all the time. It was a Wisconsin engine, I think it was bigger than 6HP, maybe 9 or 10? Tiller lever steering. We had the blade in front and a plow for the back, we never attached the plow. Identical to the one you have there bldg_insp

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 15:37 - Edited by: bldginsp

Toyota- these old Gibsons are still pretty readily available on craigslist or elsewhere. Don't cost much, lot of fun, and can get some work done. Unusual and slightly bizarre, they get everyone's attention.

Cowracer- that's a cool little unit with a unique design. Makes me wonder why a good idea like that would go by the wayside. Apparently there have been a number of small tractor manufacturers over the years, from mowers on up. I stopped at a gas station on the way home with the tractor, this guy pulls over and asks me about it, said he has a old Devere tractor with a Kohler engine. Never heard of it- looked it up and sure enough you'll find them on the web, but no one seems to know anything about the company that made them. And don't forget the Farmall Cub, probably the most famous of dinky tractors.

Paulz- I was told they used model A difs, but I'm still researching. They used a different design in later years.

DaveBell- that trailer of mine is the ratiest piece of garbage ever allowed on the highway, but it works. It folds up onto casters, so I can store it in my condo garage conveniently. Poorly made, I've modified it several times and replaced the wheels once. The day I get rid of it I'll give it a kiss before throwing it off the cliff.
Devere garden tractor
Devere garden tractor
Farmall Cub
Farmall Cub
Oliver Cletrac
Oliver Cletrac

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 16:39 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: bldginsp
Paulz- I was told they used model A difs, but I'm still researching. They used a different design in later years.

Ours said "Gibson" right on the rear diff. It was the only way we knew it was a Gibson. I remember it on the cover over the rear diff.

Some info on it, explains the model A too

http://www.tractorfriends.org/lawngardentractors/gibsontractors/Gibson%20Tractors.htm l

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 21:05

That's a good read on Gibsons Toyota, thanks. Apparently they used auto parts from a bunch of different cars- Fords, Chrysler, whatever was available. I opened up my transmission today and was surprised at how heavy it is- given that it's for a 6 or 10 horsepower engine. It's definitely from a car or truck.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 21:34

OK, from the info I read, I am certain dads was a model D, it did have the optional rear fenders. It was gray, but they mentioned Ford grey and Wisconsin gray. It looks identical to the gray model D in the webpage photos.

darz5150
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 22:27

Congrats on the tractor. Its great that other people appreciate basic mechanical marvels of history like I do. I have an old Harry Ferguson tractor and a small wheel horse tractor that are still useful every year.
Picture0415161429_2..jpg
Picture0415161429_2..jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 01:19

Quoting: bldginsp
DaveBell- that trailer of mine is the ratiest piece of garbage ever allowed on the highway, but it works. It folds up onto casters, so I can store it in my condo garage conveniently. Poorly made, I've modified it several times and replaced the wheels once. The day I get rid of it I'll give it a kiss before throwing it off the cliff.

Another quality product from China. The instructions failed to mention packing the bearings. As I packed mine during assembly, I wondered how many people didn't know to do this. How long does a wheel bearing last with no grease? The 2x4 brackets where made exactly 2x4, so my 2x4 fence is a little wobbly. The ground for the lights was supposed to attach to the frame. I home run mine, lights to connector.
I got the 2000 lb axle upgrade. So for $500, it works for me. Even with the wiring spliced in six places.

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 14:50 - Edited by: bldginsp

It's supposed to be a 'folding trailer', but in order to release the two halves you had to climb under it to get at several badly located bolts. Why make a folding trailer if you are not going to make it fold easily? So I drilled holes and installed brackets etc. so now it's a lot easier to fold and unfold.

My wheel bearings went bad, so I took them into a trailer dealer to have him pull the bearing shells and get new bearings. Nope, he said, can't do that, have to trash the whole wheels and buy new. Ridiculous. Then I asked him how often the seals should be replaced on the wheels, he said every two years. What? So you are supposed to change seals and repack bearings every two years or else you have to buy new wheels when the seals go and dirt and water get in.

Wish I had a catapult large enough to land this thing in downtown Shanghai.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 17:38 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Bearing buddies? I think that's what they were called. Added zirks...

Here:

http://www.bearingbuddy.com

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 May 2017 14:51

Spruced it up a bit. This will work well for snow clearing in tight spots, it has a very tight turning radius. With a box mounted on the back it will haul tools and whatnot around the property. A cultivator on the back may be useful for breaking up ice on the road. And it will raise a chuckle or two at the annual 4th July parade.
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 15 May 2017 18:53

Nice. Overalls and straw hat mandatory.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.