Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin Meals
SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 21 Mar 2017 22:26

I am just meal planning for a 6 day trip to the cabin (2 adults, 2 kids) and I am looking for suggestions. My plan seems a little light on veggies...Salads are tricky as they don't hold well in the cold or heat...the cabin is going to be +20°C or more and it can still get to -20°C at night this time of year outside. The other catch is it is a 40km snowmobile ride so things get bumped around and bruised. Frozen veggies work well...but I am looking for some die hard cabin recipes....hopefully we can throw some fresh fish or grouse into the mix too...

creeky
# Posted: 21 Mar 2017 22:42

one of my favorites is pesto. because its so simple. Jar of basil pesto. small can of black olives. lump of feta cheese. pasta.

boil pasta. drain. toss in pesto, black olives, feta (or cheese, but the salt of feta after a long day hiking tastes great). toss. voila.

Nothing is heavy. It will all keep till you need it. nothing there rots or goes bad.

with a glass of red wine. fresh fish would be great too.

Just
# Posted: 21 Mar 2017 22:46

Cabbage and root vegetables can take a bit of frost.
Frozen chilly and stew are my bush favorites

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Mar 2017 22:59

If you have water available here are some freeze dried meal options:
Mountain House ; lots of meal varieties and snack options like ice cream for
the kids
Harmony House
Alpine Foods
Backpackers Pantry
Ready to Eat options;
Clif Bars
Granola bars
Vienna Sausages/Crackers
Tuna/Salmon in mylar packs
Beef Jerky
Cheese and Cracker packs
Cookies etc.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Mar 2017 23:41

Quoting: Just
chilly and stew are my bush favorites

Right on, same here too.

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 01:25

Quoting: SubArcticGuy
Salads are tricky as they don't hold well in the cold or heat...the cabin is going to be +20°C or more and it can still get to -20°C at night this time of year outside. The other catch is it is a 40km snowmobile ride so things get bumped around and bruised. Frozen veggies work well...

With a little planning and effort you can get fresh produce there. Pack it into a cooler that you keep near room temperature until you start your ride in. More durable stuff (potatoes, carrots, cabbage) towards the bottom and more easily damaged stuff towards the top (lettuce, cucumbers, mushrooms). The key is to make sure there is no room for things to bounce around in the cooler. As in none, none at all.

Use dish towels, paper towels, extra shirts, whatever to take up any extra space. You should have to slightly push down on the lid to get it to close. And then, tape it shut for the ride. You can bring fragile things like eggs or tomatoes by packing them in a plastic container with wadded up paper towels. You can even reuse those paper towels on the other end (at the cabin).

Once there, it becomes simply a maintenance chore of moving the cooler in and out of the cabin as needed to keep the interior cool but not frozen. For us that typically means keeping inside at night and outside during the day.

Have fun.

FishHog
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 08:12

I do like NorthRick suggested. I've also found that lettuce needs to stay away from ice/frozen stuff in the cooler. We have an insulated bag (meant to keep stuff cold for a while), that we stuff salad in to keep it away from other stuff and a little more freeze protection and cushioning. Coleslaw travels well. Pre cut stuff and a bottle of dressing are simple and hearty. Carrots are fairly tough, but yes its a bit of a challenge especially in below freezing temps. I have a cold cooler and a warmer cooler. The warmer one gets moved in and out a lot to keep it cool but not frozen.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 08:36

I get the sealed plastic bags with lettuce etc. in them, and put them on the top in the cooler. Seems to stay fresh for a few days at least, until you open it.

Cowracer
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 10:17

When we cook at the cabin, its usually for 3 families at a time. I'll cook one night, the other families cook the other nights. It just makes more sense than everyone cooking for themselves. With that said, I need a way to cook for a whole slew of people at one time.

I love my can cooker. I have fed 14 adults out of it at one time.
I do onions, potatoes, baby carrots, green/red/yellow peppers, polish sausage, chicken tenders, corn on the cobs and sliced mushrooms. once its all loaded into the can, put it on the fire and just leave it alone for an hour. Some of the best eating I have found.

Tim

1967seniorsgt
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 14:21

hobo pies are great hamburger,red potatos, onion and carrot or ham slice , sweet potato, pineapple and green beans in the campfire or oven what ever works.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 14:44

Chili cheese dogs!

hattie
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 14:53

You can always pick up some canned veggies.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 23:10

For dinner You could make a big pot of stew and chili pre chill it in your refrigerator at home than pack it in your cooler for camp.
That way all you have to do at camp is heat the food.
Lunch meat, the packets of tuna with mayo already mixed in, peanut butter and jelly for lunch.
Pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast and I always have a bag of onions and buy pre sliced canned potatoes and fry them along with the onions and butter. Sometimes I add eggs and scramble them and before serving thow some pre shredded bagged cheese on top. That's a good filling one fry pan breakfast.
I like to buy a big block of sharp cheddar and crackers for a snack. Also no nitrate beef jerky and granola bars.
Always bring some cookies to to have with hot tea.

Borrego
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 22:00

We make stews and soups and freeze them, then get them out to the cabin and heat 'em up...bring some good hearty bread and you have an unbeatable, healthy meal!

At the other end of the health spectrum.....we sometimes slip off the wagon and make this gourmet delite:
-heat 2 cans of chili
-bake tater tots in the camp oven
-pour chili over taters and cover with tons of cheese, onions, hot sauce, etc....

Borrego
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 22:06

We make stews and soups and freeze them, then get them out to the cabin and heat 'em up...bring some good hearty bread and you have an unbeatable, healthy meal!

At the other end of the health spectrum.....we sometimes slip off the wagon and make this gourmet delite:
-heat 2 cans of chili
-bake tater tots in the camp oven
-pour chili over taters and cover with tons of cheese, onions, hot sauce, etc....

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 22:38

It was worth saying twice Borrego. I can smell the tater tots now. Only thing you left out was the CheeseWhiz.

spoofer
# Posted: 24 Mar 2017 08:02

Lots of Grilled food on the gas Weber!!

Mr RoC
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 19:38 - Edited by: Mr RoC

Quoting: SubArcticGuy
I am just meal planning for a 6 day trip to the cabin (2 adults, 2 kids) and I am looking for suggestions. My plan seems a little light on veggies...Salads are tricky as they don't hold well in the cold or heat...the cabin is going to be +20°C or more and it can still get to -20°C at night this time of year outside. The other catch is it is a 40km snowmobile ride so things get bumped around and bruised. Frozen veggies work well...but I am looking for some die hard cabin recipes....hopefully we can throw some fresh fish or grouse into the mix too...

This has worked well for us regarding veggies: Egg plants, green beans, onions, garlic, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, potatoes, cherry tomatoes, carrots, brown mushrooms, celery, Napa/ Chinese cabbage, corn on a cob.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 20:44

I usually eat the unhealthy stuff at the cabin, I enjoy it, so roughing it, I like the burgers, dogs, either with or without chili, spaghetti, steaks, potatoes. Ok, a salad always goes good with the steak.

Eddy G
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 19:04

Baked macaroni and cheese...hot or cold...
If it's just me I'll boil some egg noodles and pour some Dinty Moore beef stew over it...a little grated cheese and you got poor mans stroganoff

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 20:15

Quoting: Eddy G
Baked macaroni and cheese...hot or cold...
If it's just me I'll boil some egg noodles and pour some Dinty Moore beef stew over it...a little grated cheese and you got poor mans stroganoff

Sounds good. I'd call it "cabin delight" or "cabin surprise"

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 21:11

We also like what I call Cincinnati Chili'.....Spaghetti with Chili poured on top with cheese...I'm with toy-mdt on this... (although we eat really gourmet as well, the missus is an excellent cook we tend to splurge on the 'junk' foods at our cabin...we also tend to drink a bit too much at times.....and run around nekkid....Gawd I love the cabin life!!!!!

Rdkng07
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 21:25

Hobo Stew. Head of cabbage cut, can of diced tomatoes, and cut potatoes to start. Cook slow, and then slice and add already cooked smoked sausage, I like Eckrich beef. Cook slow, and then add halved corn on the cob if desired.

Very easy and the ingredients keep well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.