Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Salvaging old tools to leave at the cabin
KinAlberta
# Posted: 26 May 2017 10:06 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Found the article below on repurposing old battery powered tools and thought it was interesting. (Since anything valuable left out at the cabin is likely to get stolen.)

I've bought a number of old beat-up-looking tools to leave at the cabin thinking that they wouldn't be stolen because they look like crap. Bought a very cheap new circular saw to leave there too. (...but if it gets stolen during a break-in, I'll then have to manually cut plywood to cover the broken door or window. )

I recently bought a monster old, Old, OLD Craftsmen 1/2" drill to take out there. Can't imagine anyone stealing it. Plus someday it may be a valuable collectible.

Convert Old Cordless Tools to Lithium Power

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Convert-Old-Cordless-Tools-to-Lith ium-Power/%3Famp_page%3Dtrue

Cowracer
# Posted: 26 May 2017 10:19 - Edited by: Cowracer

Best source of old mechanics tools is to go to the junkyards. Back when I was racing circle track, I'd go scavenge parts at the junkyard 1-2 times a month. I always carried a 5 gallon bucket with my tools. I'd spend a quality hour popping trunks open and searching for tools. You would be surprised at what you would find. Lots of pliers and vise-grips. TONS of screwdrivers, ratchet straps galore, and occasional a solid gem like a tire plug kit or an entire set of sockets in a case.

I had my good set of tools at the garage, and my bucket of junkin' tools for going to the junkyards. It was so nice having tools that you didn't really care about. More than once I have had to lock vise-grips on something and beat it with a hammer. I'd never do that with my good grips, but I didn't care with my junking ones.

Found a lot of carpenters tools too, like hammers, levels, squares, chalk lines etc.

Tim

KinAlberta
# Posted: 26 May 2017 10:33 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Ha!!! Love it!

That's like what my brother did. He was once was stuck waiting in a bank lobby and started putting his hand down between the cushions (yes, he knows no fear). He pulled up $13 in coin from a couple couches and chairs!

I wonder how much money goes to donation centres and landfills.

Jebediah
# Posted: 26 May 2017 11:21

My place was broken into a few months ago, I have a lean-to attached to the cottage and left it unlocked with lots of little trinkets thinking the thieves would fill up and leave without breaking into the cottage....Wrong! Some of the stuff they took is beyond me....The RCMP believes the perps knew what was in the cottage...and they didn't try breaking into the garage as its was empty....so I can only conclude it was the young guys roofing my place last year or two hunters that had stumbled onto my place while I was there, silly me I invited them in for a coffee, I have one hunters name, but the police checked their data base and nothing....Two lessons I have learned never leave anything that will assist the thieves in loading up all your gear, back pack and a dolly lol....and private property signs obviously means hunters are excluded from said signs.

manny
# Posted: 26 May 2017 11:39

Quoting: Jebediah
and private property signs obviously means hunters are excluded from said signs.
not hunters ,,, But thieves

ICC
# Posted: 26 May 2017 14:30 - Edited by: ICC

It seems that there are a great many illiterate hunters in our area as we frequently find hunters on the wrong side of the posted fences.

As far as thieves go, the more remote you are the bigger the problem. My police friends tell me that in town breakins are more of a smash, grab and run affair. In the boonies they watch properties to determine a use pattern and then take a few days to remove your stuff if you have a lot. They go through everything and know what will sell readily at a flea market.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.