Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Transfer Switch
scottiejoe1972
# Posted: 22 Sep 2017 18:23

I currently have a hybrid Solar/Wind power system at my cottage with 500Watt solar and 700 watt Wind. These are going to 10 batteries and a Inverter. I also have my cottage wired for my generator which is direct wired to 120V Panel box which powers everything in the cottage. Is there a transfer switch that will work for both these power sources so when the genset is turned off the inverter powers my cottage and then switches to gen power once the generator is started?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Sep 2017 19:20 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I think something like this would work.
https://www.interlockkit.com/

Nate R
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 07:23 - Edited by: Nate R

An RV 30A Tranfser Switch would do the job automatically as far as switching power sources.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerMax-PMTS-30-Automatic-Transfer-Switch/dp/B006FLT0IG

If you have a 240 volt setup to your panel from the generator, you may need a 50A transfer switch.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 10:04

Cheaper way to do this is purchase a single-pole, double-throw switch (basically and either-or switch) at the local box store and wire it backwards so that the power comes into the switch either from the generator or from your inverter but not both. Looks just like a standard wall light switch. This works for small systems that don't require a lot of amperage (typically they are 20A switches). You can use a common ground wire. Only downside is that you have to manually throw the switch to change power sources. This has worked well for me for several years in my off-grid cabin. I don't recall what the switch cost, but maybe $20 plus a bit of wire and a switch box.

scottiejoe1972
# Posted: 23 Sep 2017 18:12

Thank you, I will try this route.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.