Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / what fall chores are you doing?
creeky
# Posted: 19 Oct 2017 18:54 - Edited by: creeky

out at the farm. enjoying the warm fall.
got the backhoe on the tractor so as I can lift it and get at the belly. am getting ready to
a) change the hydraulic oil on the tractor
b) change the 48" hose that is leaking
and
c) finish tiling the floor of the shower

I suppose after a week or so of bachelor livin' c) should have priority

anybody else?

naturelover66
# Posted: 19 Oct 2017 20:39 - Edited by: naturelover66

Im going up to the cabin this weekend to plant bulbs....cut some grass for the last time this year... Pour rv antifreeze down the pipes and sadly say goodbye til next April.
Its sad for me. I got about half the cabin projects done i planned on this year.
Oh well... Looking forward to spring already.
Lisa

old243
# Posted: 19 Oct 2017 20:54

Cutting and splitting next winters fire wood, getting my bee hives ready for winter. Doing some deer and moose hunting. Enjoying the nice days, we are having. old243

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 19 Oct 2017 22:32

Chopping more wood - we often come to the cabin during winter.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 00:23

I just got back from the cabin after spending thanksgiving there. Got a bunch of trees cut down, cut,split and stacked for next year. We have a bunch of kindling wood piled and stacked for the winter too. Also winterized the plumbing, put the pop up gazebos down and away and took the hammock down. Also pulled the kayaks up from the river and secured them. It's always a busy time but we go up during the winter so I like to have things ready and easy for when there is three feet of snow on the ground!

ColdFlame
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 11:22

@Skoota: Whereabouts are you located if I may ask? Presumably, from your name, somewhere in BC?

My wife and I recently purchased a property in the East Kootenays that is 33.1 acres. We've only been able to go a few times since we took possession on Labour Day weekend, but man is it beautiful out there. It's hard to leave already!

For us; our fall chores were to get some fencing up around the planting beds to keep the deer/elk away, drain our irrigation lines that run throughout the property, turn off the water, drain the hoses, put all of the garden implements away, shut off the hot water tank, etc... I also need to drag a snowblower out to the property for our winter visits.

deercula
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 12:41

Chores are done. Now I'm just trying to put some venison in the freezer with my bow and arrow. Hunt hard, hunt smart, and hunt safe everyone!

vtbros
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 19:42

Siding stained, Ladders pulled from docks, rain barrels emptied, grass mowed, one last swim and camp fire before the cold.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 21:18

Insulating the walls with Roxell......got the ceiling done this summer. Looking forward to going up this winter first time!!😀

Borrego
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 21:36

Putting in solar at the cabin.....finally......time for lights, camera, action....!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 01:51

@coldflame...we are in eastern Ontario about an hour and a half north east of Peterborough

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 22 Oct 2017 09:08

I think we have one more trip in us for the season.

General cleaning, chop wood, change the batteries and sd cards on the trail cams, pickup the porta-toilet and solar batteries.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 22 Oct 2017 16:47

Taking down two trees that are shading the solar panels. shutting down the system, taking in the docks and draining the water tank and lines.

neckless
# Posted: 24 Oct 2017 08:55

rototil the garden,dry my sawdust for the ice house,try and finish sauna...but was to nice out...rode my tw200 400 kms down the back rodes shootin chickens and fishin was great partridge and walleye ,cant beat that.....ho and a 55 inch muskie , they are very active in the fall...

Mike 870
# Posted: 24 Oct 2017 09:09

I'm trying like crazy to get my cabin under a roof!

old ugly
# Posted: 2 Nov 2017 21:49

we rototilled a garden area for next summer. we did a yard clean up getting ready for winter and then we took out all the stuff that does not like freezing, that was a good thing as we just did that and today was down to -16. perfect timing.

hattie
# Posted: 3 Nov 2017 13:40

Winter arrived yesterday. We did manage to get the gardens cleaned up and the property raked. Still need to deactivate the two fountains we have and Bob needs to trim the fruit trees. We hired a local to fix the parapet on our roof that had started to rot. Hopefully this snow will melt and give us a reprieve before the serious stuff hits. We also still need to put away all our lawn furniture that is currently under snow.

bobrok
# Posted: 4 Nov 2017 11:44

I granddaughter-proofed my deck by installing spindles on what had been a wide open 4-foot drop.
She's newborn, but will be crawling by next spring!

Bexeler
# Posted: 4 Nov 2017 13:16

Last weekend I went to the cabin to prepare for winter. We will use the cabin some in the winter just not as much as in the summer.
I drained the water tanks and diverted the gutters from the catch barrels.
Winterized the boat and put the kayaks in storage.
Took advantage of the cool weather to cut up some trees that were in the ground and got a brush pole ready to burn.
Put the air conditioners away for the year.
Mowed the grass one last time.
Then enjoyed the views of the trees with all the colors of the leaves.

black_raven
# Posted: 5 Nov 2017 12:01

Put up some wood for next year. Rake all the leaves. Cleared out French drains of leaves. Hooked up battery to new solar in bunkie.

Then sat by the fire as the kids looked at their phones 😄

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Nov 2017 21:37

I was going to put a new door, brickmold etc on the garage and move a door from the front of the boathouse to the back.

Unfortunately this year’s snow and cold probably means that’s all deferred until next year. .
This year is apparently 30 degrees C colder than this time last year.

Night time temps of -15 C (5F) is freezing up everything so I wonder if it would increase the chance of me splitting the framing etc plus it’s just not fun doing work like that in the cold.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Nov 2017 21:39

Quoting: black_raven
Then sat by the fire as the kids looked at their phones 😄

Get them one of those campfire phone apps.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.