Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / If you did it again what would you change?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Just
# Posted: 4 Nov 2017 10:16

''Mechanization best serves Mediocrity. ''
Frank Lloyd Wright

Topeka
# Posted: 24 Jun 2018 04:20

Apache OpenOffice Draw has limitations--print paper size is a long lasting criticism. It hasn't bothered me. Your mileage may vary. They give you a spread sheet, calculations and drawing software to sketch and do those take-offs. If you don't like free, you've only lost your time to try.

Anything non-intuitive (to me) has been addressed and answered. A couple words in google to identify the problem + "Open Office" will produce results from their wiki and their forum.

I'm enrolled in community college, so I can buy the student versions of commercial CAD. I don't because anyone I share with would also have to buy the CAD. I am comfortable asking friends and strangers to install OpenOffice for free. They don't have to know how to draw to open the files, mark up the prints or move an object.

Open Office will export to PDF, so you can share with someone not technically savvy and with that professional you pay to build the cabin.

OpenSource and OffGrid share something of an analogy. Maybe you like that. Have a nice day, everybody.

ILFE
# Posted: 24 Jun 2018 12:00

Since it came up in this topic, I use Home Designer Architectural 2017 (by Chief Architect).

The one thing I would do again, definitely, is the foundation.

Fortunately, I have the ability to do just that, as soon as the land behind us has settled a bit more - another six months? Once that has happened, I am going to pour a proper, complete foundation, with footings.

ILFE
# Posted: 24 Jun 2018 12:01

Quoting: Atlincabin
I've used Home Designer Suite for a few years. The version I got was ~$100 a few years ago. There are some non-intuitive bits but overall I'm happy with it.

I was just on the website. It is still $99 USD, for the current version.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.