Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Solar panel /Rain water collection
bronco_ed
# Posted: 28 Nov 2017 10:13

Just curious if anyone that has put up solar panels also use them for rain water collection?

Just
# Posted: 28 Nov 2017 21:36

I think it would it would take a very large collector to make a viable rain water collector. We collect rain from a 300 sq. ft roof . We have a 1050 watt solar panel that is only 48 sq. ft. . it would be simple to add a trough to the panels ,just not sure you would get much water . Perhaps someone here can do the math. lots of folk here are good at math..

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2017 22:27

Quoting: bronco_ed
Just curious if anyone that has put up solar panels also use them for rain water collection?

Most arrays are actually very small compared to the total roof area of a typical house. Roof it in metal and you have one of the best collectors.

My arrays are free standing in three sets on poles so collecting water off them would be a pain. If the panels on on the roof that would be no different than collecting off a roof. So I don't understand the question I guess. I collect rain water and it is my only source now. That's a house roof and a machine shed roof; about 4500 sq ft total. The total of the solar panels is a small portion of that.

bronco_ed
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 19:56 - Edited by: bronco_ed

I seen something on the web whereas both Solar power and water collection was incorporated into a set up (Spendy- Not typical solar panels). I was just wondering of anyone was using their panels to collect water in a similar fashion. The question was answered with the amount of surface required.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.