Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Small Cabin Stoves?
Bushwhacked
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 20:25

I have seen the question of "what wood stove for a small cabin?" around this site a few times and I just saw these and thought I would share. Maybe it'll help someone out.
Cheers!
http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

itsals1
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 20:32

Wow! That is a expensive little stove.
I would build a stove or hire a local welding shop to build one.
Just my opinion.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 20:47

I agree. Though the I would think that you would be able to find them else where for cheaper.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 21:26

I've seen a few different marine stoves that are quite beautiful to look at. They are so small I would think they are a pain in the neck. Almost anything that has the prefix "marine..." is usually pricey and no, I don't think you can find any real bargains. Boats are after all, a rich man's hole in the water.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 21:42

If anyone is looking for a small "Marine" sized stove which doesn't break the bank, have a look here:
https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/all?page=1

I've only heard good things and the pricing is quite reasonable IMO.

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 22:04

How small is the cabin? How cold does it get there where you are? Is the cabin insulated? You have to take many factors into consideration before buying a wood stove. Marine stoves are very expensive and small stoves like the Cubic Mini all have small chimney and stove pipe diameters and have to be swept on regular basis due to creosote build-up. It is also hard to find triple and doule wall chimney in 3-4 inch. If your cabin can acomodate real stove go with morso squirrel or jotul 602. They are small but airtight. If the cabin is a small shack you can go with vented propane heater for about $500 new. But everything depends on location, weather, size and insulation.
Also marine and mini stoves require constant tending due to small firebox, 2-3 times a night.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 23 Dec 2017 10:28

The cubic mini looks nice. Wish I had seen this when I was buying stoves a couple years ago. Should be able to get an adapter to go from the 3" outlet to standard 6" stovepipe.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Dec 2017 15:07

Quoting: Atlincabin
Should be able to get an adapter to go from the 3" outlet to standard 6" stovepipe.

If that is done you lose a lot of the draft. Doubling the diameter of the pipe makes an opening with 4 times the area. So the smoke slows down a bunch when it hits the 6" pipe. The loss in velocity translates into gasses cooling faster and it goes downhill from there.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of the EPA stoves use 6" flues, whereas older stoves commonly used 8"? That is because they had draft problems caused by the lesser amount of air that passed through the more efficient burning new stoves.

Sometimes you can get away with a small change like 6 to 8 inch (that is not quite twice the area). Sometimes you can't. A neighbor had a stove that the mfg said was okay with an 8" only if the flue went straight up. With a rear exit or a bend in the flue they mandated a 6 inch only. All to try and keep the velocity of the smoke up.

Jebediah
# Posted: 23 Dec 2017 17:29

I thought those marine stoves where engineered to burn coal as it burns much hotter and you can throw in a few chunks and they will burns for hours. I heard people use pellet stove pipe with those stoves.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Dec 2017 19:27 - Edited by: ICC

Web page for the one in the OP states "For Wood". Coal requires a grate with sufficient spaces between the bars. Sometimes they have a riddler; a way to shake the grate from the stove exterior, in order to shake and release built up ash.

I have an old Vermont Castings stove that was built to burn coal. They call the grate a shaker grate.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Dec 2017 05:07

http://www.heatredefined.com/ (parent site for >>>>)
http://survivorcampstoves.com/

Jebediah
# Posted: 28 Dec 2017 14:29

Heres a newer model portable stove , might be to small for a cabin.....https://youtu.be/vxvYz0ILzkY

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 22:42

We recently installed the cubic mini grizzly in our 108 sq foot bunkie. We spent 3 day out there this week. Temp got down to -33C the one night. We kind of cooked the kids in the loft the first night. Figured it out the second night. Got up once to restart the fire with two small logs. The main floor stayed around 14, the loft about 18.
We're pretty impressed with it so far.

Fanman
# Posted: 9 May 2018 20:19 - Edited by: Fanman

One option if your local codes allow it is an antique coal stove. Some of them are quite small and the beauty of coal is that it burns all night long. Or you can make a small wood fire in them just to take off the morning chill. Depending on condition they can be quite inexpensive, too.

I found this stove disassembled and all rusty under my old cabin. I cleaned it up and used it, then when I moved to a new cabin the people taking over my old place didn't want it, so I took it with me. Last year I restored it properly and installed it in our bedroom, it's the perfect size (there is a larger wood stove in the living room).

The cool thing about it is that it was made about 100 years ago in a town only about 15 miles from my cabin.
IMG_20161112_1415482.jpg
IMG_20161112_1415482.jpg
IMG_20161112_1416132.jpg
IMG_20161112_1416132.jpg

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 9 May 2018 20:56

Thats pretty cool Fanman. I like the wood faced concrete under it. How many sq ft does that take up in the corner of your room?

Fanman
# Posted: 9 May 2018 21:09

I don't recall exactly, about 3' square or a little less, to maintain the required 18" wall clearance with the metal shielding on the walls. For sake of scale the body tube is 10" diameter. Probably don't even need the concrete, there's no heat on the floor, those stoves used to be installed even on carpeted floors... but it adds safety if a burning chunk falls out.

The concrete also serves to support the wood floor, I poured it over the rock under the floor as I was building the addition. One neat thing you can't see in the photos, I poured the concrete and left it for the night. The next morning I found a set of squirrel footprints running across it, preserved forever in the now dry concrete.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.