Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Air Condition with earth tube in Florida
catfishhoward
# Posted: 27 Jan 2018 09:47

I'm starting my planning on a future homestead in N. Florida somewhere between Tallahassee and Crestview +/-. I plan on having a 900 sq ft conex metal storage container home.

I've seen where some people do earth tubes on greenhouses but didn't know if the system could work on a 900 sq ft conex home in N. Florida or if it would be cheaper to have a ductless ac unit since I don't plan on having duct work in the conex metal home. I will have power to the home (no solar).

I've seen where they use fresh air for most systems but could a closed system work where you circulate the same air through the system and treat the air someway. I don't know anything about how the soil temps may change throughout the year? With the highs in the 90's and high humidity would earth tubes work at all???
Earth Tubes
Earth Tubes
Home Design
Home Design

catfishhoward
# Posted: 27 Jan 2018 10:01

I forgot to mention the initial money up front to build which ever system to cool the house doesn't matter as much but I need to keep my monthly budget as low as I can for the future.

Swampwise11
# Posted: 28 Jan 2018 18:31

Awesome you have a cabin near Tallahassee man. I do as well. Middle of the national forest. As far as the heating and cooling goes, you absolutely need to go the ductless system route. Unmatched efficiency and zoning capabilities, less intrusive installation as well. FYI....my family has been in the HVAC business for over 70yrs... 😁😁....let me know if I can be of any help! Good to know another Florida cabin owner!

catfishhoward
# Posted: 28 Jan 2018 19:38 - Edited by: catfishhoward

Thanks for the reply, I'm finding out also that the ductless system will be a better choice. I don't yet have property down there yet but I'll be selling of a rental property in Atlanta in the next year so I can make the move.

Your username, ever heard of Okefenokee Joe? He uses the phrase "Swampwise". I went to Okefenokee tech for forestry years back and loved it down there in Waycross, GA.

Swampwise11
# Posted: 28 Jan 2018 20:41

Definitely heard of him....and been through waycross many times. I’m actually from around Augusta. Family land over 7 generations is why the cabin is in Florida. Glad to finally know there’s people from GA/FL on here, and not just up north. Small world....haha

catfishhoward
# Posted: 22 Dec 2020 07:17

I ended up buying a home already built in Florida Sept 2020 and the electric bill so far has been $175 a month so not that bad yet. I'm going to look into a on grid solar system later next year after I have a good fill on the power consumption I use.

I've been told the earth tubes wont work in Florida but I put a therm 4' into the ground to see what the temp changes might be. I should have went 6' min but that's all my post hole digger would do (I got lazy).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.