Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Finally open!
Rickant
# Posted: 4 May 2018 16:47 - Edited by: Rickant

Finally got up to the cabin, got it cleaned up and ready for habitation. What an adventure. The water was so high that the landing was completely flooded. It was tricky to get the boat turned over, it was in a foot of water. Made it easy to load the boat because I could pull it up right beside the truck! No signs of any mice inside the cabin at all. There were two dead mice in a bucket in the 'addition'... Hadn't even set it up as a a trap! So easy cleanup. I did notice some mouse bait had been chewed in the cabin, but not sure if this was new bait or if it was from previous years. The wood stove seems to be working fine but didn't get too hot (not to the middle Zone of the thermometer for the flue. We will be cleaning it next time we are up.

I checked the construction of the addition. Hmpf. Rafters are 2x10, ridge board is 2x2x10. Walls are 2x4. It is nailed into the main cottage but through the siding. The perlins I think we're 2x4, possible 2x6. The rafters abutt the main cottage but don't seem to be tied in. I will need to add collar ties and ceiling joists at minimum. I guess I should have someone take a look before doing much with that room. It is currently for storage like a garage but I would like to make a bedroom or sitting room.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wilbour
# Posted: 4 May 2018 23:14

Think this flooding is seasonal or just a fluke this year?

Mine is on clay and stays wet for some time in the spring. Always have to wear rubber boots cause the grass is so soggy.

Rickant
# Posted: 5 May 2018 04:55

I'm on an island, it's seasonal, but quite high this year. Part of a large water system. Luckily we are on the highest spot

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.