Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Rust on the stove
Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 3 Jun 2018 21:04

Sometime during the early spring something ripped off some of the silicone around the stove boot on the roof. This led to some water running down onto the stove. The hole is now filled in and no more water is coming in, but the top of our stove is now a bit rusty. What's the best way to remove the rust and get it back to a nice solid black colour?
P6030510.JPG
P6030510.JPG

Just
# Posted: 3 Jun 2018 22:42

Wire brush then stove pollash.

darz5150
# Posted: 3 Jun 2018 23:08

If the rust isn't too deep maybe you can use a wire brush to knock off the rust. Then season it just like a cast iron skillet. I have a cast iron stove in the cabin. And a steel wood stove in a small workshop. If a rust spot appears, usually in the off season, I just shoot it with some cooking spray, rub it in, and light a fire.
I have single wall pipes. Every spring, after the burning season, I spray all the outside pipes with cooking spray. And haven't had to replace any pipes in 7 years.

creeky
# Posted: 4 Jun 2018 13:02

good advice. thx. I have rust on the stove from the water pots over the winter. I used stove pollash and man it never baked on. All my pots me etc have black pollash on them now.

I will try cooking oil.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 5 Jun 2018 09:21

Thanks for the replies. I’ll start with the oil and see how that works.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 5 Jun 2018 11:13

Using cooking spray on iron skillets is not advised since it can lead to a sticky buildup over time.

It seems that might be the case if one used it on other iron as well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.