Admin
# Posted: 5 May 2011 16:29 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Admin's note: Posted by TWilliams:

Our Throne Room
outhouse.jpg
outhouse.jpg

CaptainJ
# Posted: 8 May 2011 19:05

Mine is still under construction as you can see. See my message in the 'project forum' for details.
Proj1.JPG
Proj1.JPG
Proj2.JPG
Proj2.JPG

dabones
# Posted: 8 May 2011 20:57

Haha.. I dont' have a wooden one yet either.. built a 'toilet' and dug a hole for it to sit over.. then I had an old standup canopy that we put up over that to keep rain off, and then wrapped 2 sides witha green tarp for privacy..
one day when we find a permanent spot for an outhouse then we'll build a wooden one... the ground is very rocky and very hard to dig a hole in, and also we're on the side of a steep hill so level'ish ground is hard to come by.. :)
CAMPINGJULY_042.jpg
CAMPINGJULY_042.jpg

smitty
# Posted: 8 May 2011 21:40

Have you guys, with an outhouse, and a shallow well.. 25-30ft wells. Have you have any trouble with contaminating your water? Something I am concerned with building an outhouse. If we pound a well point 30 ft will we contaminate our water.. How has it worked out for you?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 May 2011 22:44

code around my area, nothing withing 100 feet from a well.

smitty
# Posted: 10 May 2011 01:35

Alright, let me ask this.. Just for fun..
100ft from where you drill your well is understandable. But we don;t know how far that well stretches underground. It may stretch 300feet or 600 feet we just don't know. What then?

beulahfarkward
# Posted: 16 May 2011 09:21

Love it! Especally the windowbox.

drmargy
# Posted: 17 May 2011 21:36 - Edited by: drmargy

Our outhouse is hard to reach, but the view is well worth the trip.

I call it my stairway to heaven. And it leads to a room with quite a view.

Margy
StairwaytoHeaven.jpg
StairwaytoHeaven.jpg
IMG_8419.JPG
IMG_8419.JPG

TomChum
# Posted: 18 May 2011 00:22 - Edited by: TomChum

cool! I bet it's a welcome sight when you get there.

I like the idea, in theory..... but not sure how that many stairs would work out in real life, coffeecup in one hand, magazine in the other. Some mornings I have to kick up my heels if ya know what I mean....

However, it looks like about the only way to have an outhouse for a cabin on a lake!

Gary O
# Posted: 18 May 2011 09:06 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: drmargy
Our outhouse is hard to reach

Whoa, that's quite the trek.
Not sure I'd make it.
Gotta quick step up the 27 (urgent) steps of hell to 'arrive'
The element of careful pre-planning would be a necessity.
Procrastination could result in a premature event malfunction.

Maybe a 'dabones' substation at the landing, like a sherpa hut at the base of K2, would be good thing.....

Doggies, the 'hole'-in-the-wall gang has nothin' on you....literally

Quoting: TomChum
coffeecup in one hand,

Coffee cup...funny...I think I'd pack a lunch...and wait

Scott_T
# Posted: 18 May 2011 12:42

Quoting: drmargy
with quite a view.

drmargy,

Is the lake in the left side of picture? Perhaps a little pruning might further enhance the long view? I like it...brings back fond memories of time I spent along some of the rocky shores of Georgian Bay, Ontario. Steep rock precipices with deep, clear, COLD water below.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2011 21:54

Quoting: Gary O
Whoa, that's quite the trek.
Not sure I'd make it.
Gotta quick step up the 27 (urgent) steps of hell to 'arrive'

Stay away from green apples, prunes... :D

dvgchef
# Posted: 18 May 2011 23:22 - Edited by: dvgchef

Loving what I see! Here is another one to add - It's a moldering privy, so we don't have to dig down. Still under construction, hoping to add a very small sink and a water collection system to feed the sink.
throne closed
throne closed
throne open
throne open

drmargy
# Posted: 19 May 2011 21:26

Quoting: Gary O

Gary - I have to be honest, we keep Mr. Pea Bucket on the deck for quick access. But yes, planning does play into going up the hill. Plus I try to multitask and water my garden (no, not that way) at the same time.

Quoting: Scott_T
Is the lake in the left side of picture?

Yes Scott - the lake is visible in that little notch between the branches. Yes, a bit of pruning would improve the view. I'll get Wayne to take his sheers up the hill on his next trip to the loo.

Margy

UltraViolet
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 23:58

I bought an old Port-A-Pot for $75.
Dug a hole.
Cut the bottom out of the Port-A-Pot.
Instant outhouse!
Leak-proof & bug-proof.
And recycled too!
Port-A-Pot Outhouse
Port-A-Pot Outhouse

hattie
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 14:39

Quoting: UltraViolet
I bought an old Port-A-Pot for $75. Dug a hole. Cut the bottom out of the Port-A-Pot.

Now THAT'S a good idea!!!!! You probably couldn't build one out of wood for $75! ...and like you said it's leak and bug-proof. We got some smart peoples here on this forum! *S*

surfspc
# Posted: 25 Jun 2011 01:01

Great oldschool pics! Love it!

TomChum
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 18:11 - Edited by: TomChum

Added a window to my "guest" outhouse in the meadow. It is an old window with wavy glass, and hinges open. Casing and trim are faded boards. I made the casing entirely with tools from my DeWalt 18v toolbag.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 01:28

TC I love the window. Where did you find it?
We don't have a window. I think we might just have to make one because it has to be small. Maybe I can find some old wavy glass.
We're going to paint the inside of the outhouse next year.
The privy
The privy
:)
:)
Every privy needs a bug wacker
Every privy needs a bug wacker
Solar light
Solar light

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 01:48

A few more
Painting next year
Painting next year
The view
The view

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 15:35

dvgchef -- your mouldering privy looks awesome. Just what we're planning to do as well since we can't really dig a pit through permafrost :)

We're still debating whether to make a single chamber, or build a double chamber pedestal and slide the outhouse back and forth as necessary. Now that you've had more time to use it, are you worried that it'll fill up too fast?

dvgchef
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 08:29

PlicketyCat
Not too worried about the single chamber filling up too fast, but we are only two people and only use it on weekends in the spring and summer.
Good luck, and post pics when you are done!

Scott_T
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:15 - Edited by: Scott_T

Here is our (composting toilet) outhouse that we assembled at our property in Columbia, NC one week (Aug. 17-19, 2011) before hurricane Irene made landfall. I don't know if it will be there when we return? Damage reports for the areas suggest some catastrophic losses...mainly due to flooding by the river and storm surge on the sound. Apparently a tornado even touched down somewhere in the county. I hope my neighbors are safe and recovery can begin for them soon.
Outhouse assembly
Outhouse assembly
Outhouse finished
Outhouse finished
Scuppernong River directly below Hwy 64 bridge in Columbia, NC. Downtown to right.
Scuppernong River directly below Hwy 64 bridge in Columbia, NC. Downtown to right.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:40

Scott_T... Hope your hard work is still standing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Scott_T
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:03

Thanks, trollbridge. If gone my loss will not amount to much more than my time invested to build it (twice - once at home, dimantled and transported to the property as shown in pics). The lumber for the structure was reclaimed from the kid's old play set. My small 100 sq. ft. cabin (which is still in the planning stages) will include provisions for sustaining hurricanes and flooding!

dvgchef
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:19

Scott - good luck with yours (and to everyone else too!) Irene is on its way to my catskill cabin & outhouse - will find out next week how it withstood the wind!

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:44

Good luck to you also dvgchef...keep my fingers crossed for you too and anybody else in Irene's path. My mother lives in Florida and I was relieved it didn't go there but it is unfortunate that anybody has to deal with it. Guess we have to accept the good nature with the bad. Hang tight.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 13:23 - Edited by: trollbridge

Here is our outhouse, built in the garage, unassembled and reassembled on site. We still need to finish the interior and exterior needs real siding and main roof still needs the tin put on. We will insulate the inside and also add rain water barrel off back to add a sink.

The windows up high are off a pick-up topper and the door came from a reuse shop cheap. The "waiting porch" turned out to be quite handy in the rain!
100_7722.JPG
100_7722.JPG
100_7724.JPG
100_7724.JPG
100_8115.JPG
100_8115.JPG
100_9870.JPG
100_9870.JPG

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 15:26 - Edited by: PlicketyCat

Good luck to everyone in Irene's path. Stay safe!

We're still living in our wall tent, but should be in our (not quite finished) cabin this winter. The true mouldering outhouse will likely be a chore for next summer. We're currently using a bucket loo in the tent, made on the fly with spare lumber. We'll have a similar arrangement in the cabin, a small WC tucked under the stairs, as this allows us to "go" at night without the shotgun (summer) or without putting on 18 layers (winter). Once the privy and pedestal are complete, we'll just empty the night bucket into the chamber.

Anyway, here's pics of our current setup:
BucketLooAdHoc
BucketLooAdHoc
BucketLooFinished
BucketLooFinished

hattie
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 18:07

trollbridge - Your place just gets better and better. Love the outhouse!!!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.