Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / No maintenance lawn
Woodennickel
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 19:23

We have just bought a small lake front cabin. I have a lot of deadfall and saplings/brush to clean up around it... which I think is the cause of all the mosquitos we have and adds to the forest fire risk. The other cabins around us all have a lawn.. rough lawns, but still grass, which I have seen the neighbours mowing. I am not really wanting to be mowing a lawn. I am thinking of seeding the area with clover for a low growth, no maintenance lawn. Any other ideas — Cariboo region of British Columbia.

razmichael
# Posted: 19 Jun 2018 07:20

Lots of good articles on 'clover as a lawn' on the web. We used it at our house (rural, clay) after we built to break up the clay - eventually leading to grass growing as well. Also used it more recently at the cabin immediately after we built. it grows in just about anything and needs no maintenance. White clover can grow up to 8" so you may decide to cut it a couple of times but nothing like grass. Not so good in high traffic areas and it may need re-seeding every few years (but it is so cheap). There are some very low maintenance grasses out there as well you might investigate.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:36

Any local farm supply or lawn and garden store, maybe even the hardware store will be able to tell you what works in your area.
One important consideration is the amount of sun it will get; in our case at home we need grass seed that will actually take and grow with a goodly amount of shade.

Just
# Posted: 29 Jan 2021 21:40

I think you need red clover not white or yellow ,they can grow to tall 4to 5ft. Red seldom grows more than a foot tall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.