Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New to forum and planning a cabin build.
Cs2074
# Posted: 31 Jul 2018 22:33

I have been reading the forum a lot the past few weeks trying to gather info for a new cabin build. This forum seem like a group of like minded people with lots of knowledge to share.
A little background on my property, about 4 years ago I purchased ten acres along a trout stream in central PA . It had a mobile home with well and standard septic and a little cabin down by the creek. We weren’t really looking for land but the place was perfect. I actually showed it to a client and I told him that if he isn’t going to buy it I was.It is our plan is to build a home on the property on top of the hill where the mobile home is but in the mean time we rented the mobile out and use the cabin ( Fishhouse as we named it) a few times a year. The fish house is about 20x20 has cold water running from the mobile and 2 20 amp circuits from the mobile panel box. It is all open except for a 2x5 closet with a camper toilet and hand bowl. It is not insulated and is mostly storm windows it gets too hot in the summer and not practical in the winter. It is going to need a new roof soon and painted.
Rather than repair the current cabin I am planning on building a new one.
First off I am having trouble with the size. I keep getting bigger the more I think about it . I will soon be at the point where I may as well build my house.
My wife and I have 4 kids 2 are are on their own with significant others and a 5 and 1 year old at home.
I want to have room for everyone to spend weekends at the cabin especially during hunting and fishing season. Staying at the fish house cuts 45 minutes off our drive to our hunting and fishing spots.
Our home build will be 3-5 years out and I plan to use the cabin after we live there for family gatherings and a guest house for our out of state family and friends. I am also considering renting it out on air b&b for weekend getaways during hunting and fishing season.
And way down the road I am planning on downsizing and moving into the cabin and possibly letting one of my kids live in the house.
I want to use solar to power the cabin and use the 2 circuits from the house as a backup. Maybe to run a dorm fridge and microwave like we currently do. I will use the water from the mobile and add a water heater and shower to the new cabin.
Some of the requirements are a screened area and a front porch facing the creek, it needs to be comfortable all four seasons and have an indoor shower and toilet( composting is ok) . I plan to use board and batten siding because I can purchase hemlock locally for .45/bf pretty reasonable price to me and it will have a metal roof due to easy of installation and durability. Plus I like the look.
I plan on a propane stove for cooking as a Harman wood/ coal stove for heating. Maybe an on demand propane water heater and some kind of solar water heating.
I was told the fishouse uses an old cess pool from an old house on the property so for weekend use I plan to continue to use that.
I am thinking we want a small bedroom and a bunk room for our sleeping.
I think I will put a loft over half the cabin for additional sleeping.
I want room for a large table for the whole family to eat at and play cards or tie flies .

Big items I am looking for ideas or tips are insulating the cabin especially the floor , the size of rooms and overall cabin and solar set up. I am also not sure the best economical way to finish the walls and ceiling.

I would like to hear all your do’s& do not’s of cabin building and planning.
What do you wish you would have done different?

Thanks

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 18:28

Hi, I would recommend rockwool (roxul) insulation over the pink stuff. We have mice and the pink stuff just ends up being relocated as nests for new generations of them. As for walls, if you have any concern of the cabin shifting, I would suggest paneling, it is more little more expensive per sq than drywall though. We have mostly paneling, but added a feature above our fireplace of drywall. Long story short, the cabin settled and drywall seams popped. Drywall work off-grid is not easy, nor is removing the dust that sanding it creates. Paneling takes a little more movement before it shows. Due to the construction of our rafters and our snow load issues, we chose to keep our beams visible; that way we can see any cracks and if any need sistered. But if the construction of your rafters is up-to-snuff, you may well want to add ceilings.
Our cabin is about 20x30 with an added 10x10 "shed-type" addition. It has a main living/dining/kitchen area, and 2 bedrooms off one of the short ends. The shed addition houses tools/dried wood crib/and a composting toilet. It is only accessible through the second bedroom. If I had the chance to design that I would have put the utility/bathroom off the living room. We have the room that a loft could be put in over the 2 bedrooms, but haven't had the need to. We have a queen bed in the main bedroom, and a full and a twin in the second.

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 19:22

Hi and welcome....
I would always build larger as you will wish you had if everyone shows up at the same time.....or maybe get an old travel trailer or two and park them nearby for guests? (What we did)

Anyway to redo the old Mobile home so it's usable? If it wouldn't cost too much it'd be nice to keep it....?

You need to decide if you're going to have a raised foundation or slab-on-grade. There are advantages to both, and lots of prior discussion on this forum. If you go raised, make sure you cover the insulation in the floor so it's not easy for pest s to get in onceagain, lots of threads on this)

Also I would look at Hardi board siding, either panels or planks....put 'em up and forget about 'em....also fireproof...having said that, if you go with a slab, steel studs, drywall inside, Hardi outside, and metal roof...you are pretty much all fire proof...something to think about....

Cs2074
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 20:49

The mobile on the property in useable and i have been renting it out since I bought the property to give me a return on my money.

I am planning to build on piers because of potential flooding.
Still researching the best way to insulate the floor.
I saw a YouTube video where a guy used bubble wrap under the subfloor and put skirting lined with bubble insulation around the outside.

Also looked into spraying the subfloor from underneath.

Cs2074
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 20:53

I agree on the build larger right now I have 4 boys ages 24,19,5,1. I am planning a bunk room in one of the bedrooms.
I am also trying to plan for future additions of an addition with a bunk room but I am not sure how to heat the bunk room.

That will be a future post it’s self.

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 21:18

If you build on piers, give yourself plenty of crawlspace, you'll appreciate it when you try to crawl under it with 64 year old knees

There are better ways of insulating your subfloor, as i said many have been discussed on here, look 'em up. you can get R30 at least in there and it makes a HUGE difference.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.