Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin needs to be jacked up
guitarzan
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 22:57

I have a small cabin in northern Wisconsin. It was part of a "resort" built during WWII. The cottage sits on vertical sections of railroad ties and is approximately 12' x 20' including an enclosed porch my father added in the early 80s. I am not aware of any footings. The cottage has been sinking on one side for many years now. The soil is sandy and at least one other cottage in the group has the same situation. The posts holding the cottage up are really too low to be able to go under the cottage to inspect. The cottage has well and septic. I am looking for some ideas on how I can raise and level this structure, ideally to create footings and foundation. I would like to know if this is something I can do or if it needs to be done by heavy equipment. What kind of price range would this entail?

AK Seabee
# Posted: 11 Aug 2018 00:24

You just need a couple 20 ton bottle jacks, dunnage and a friend.

Fanman
# Posted: 15 Aug 2018 17:19

When I got my cabin the floor was about 8" out of level across the 18' length of the living room. The cabin was built some 80 years ago on posts resting on piled flat rocks. Unfortunately the low spot was as far as you could get from an exterior wall, something less than 18" above the ground. I slithered in there on my stomach with a bottle jack, cranked a few pumps and got out as fast as I could while listening to terrifying creaking sounds above my head. Back in to add shims and pump a few more times. Repeated the exercise a few more times while my daughter stood by ready to call 911. By the time the floor was only 4" out of level, the windows were able to close again and I declared it "good enough."

old243
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 08:57

I have jacked up a small house, a long time ago. I think the important thing about raising a building, is take your time . Have lots of , various thickness, of shims. Don't leave the building supported on a jack , keep supporting with shims Let the building , creak and move back into place, gradually, other wise you may cause structural damage. Your cabin being that old , probably the original floor was boards , you may be able to take up floor , and access the support posts , that way. Pour new support piers and replace floor. This is a lot of work, and quite a bit of ground hoggin, but can be done. Good luck. old 243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.