Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Need to clean tile grout
paulz
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 19:07

At my house, my dog and I have our own tub and shower, that we have been neglecting to clean, wife has her own bathroom. Some relatives are coming next month, need to get the tile grout back to white from the disgusting brown black it is now. Shower walls mainly. I have tried Ajax, bleach, CLR, Awesome bathroom cleaner, TSP, auto degreaser and oven cleaner. Nothing is working. Any magic stuff that will work?

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 19:55

For a quick cover up you can paint it. But if you really want to fix it you need to regrout. It's not so bad. You basically use a sharp tool to scrape it all out. I think I mainly used a utility knife. Then regrout which went faster than I thought it would. Then again, my tile has pretty narrow grout lines, I bet wide grout lines would take longer. Good luck.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 20:17

X14, tile and grout cleaner.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 20:54

steam cleaning works best

paulz
# Posted: 21 Aug 2018 15:37

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give them a try.

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Aug 2018 19:51

I use bleach but you have to let it soak for 2 hours. For fiberglass shower pan, odorless oven cleaner and scrub brush.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 22 Aug 2018 11:54

Whitening toothpaste and a brush of some sort. Works a treat!

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 22 Aug 2018 19:51

I've had good luck with "Kaboom" cleaner, but you might want a mask/good ventilation with it. Something in that stuff really messes with my respiratory system.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 11:27 - Edited by: paulz

Went to Ace for some X14, banned (at least in California...yes, Ca has changed a lot in the 60 years I've been here..). Probably because it actually works. Bunch of other stuff on the shelf but the salesman told me to just use toilet bowl cleaner, which I have. Didn't work, neither did the two hour bleach soak nor some pine cleaner or Tilex I had. Doesn't look like mold, more like embedded dirt, or something.

Don't have a steam cleaner, hot water out of the shower seems to help a bit. Will try the other suggestions, revert to paint or caulk if I have to. The whole tub and shower need replacing but that won't happen before Labor day, too busy getting the cabin ready for my wife's 50th birthday party. Maybe I should call that One Day Bathroom Remodeler guy on TV...
0823180815_resized.j.jpg
0823180815_resized.j.jpg

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 12:37 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Looking at the photo, could that be silicone covered grout along the bottom edge between the tub and tile? Mine was and it separated and then got mouldy. I just cut it out really cleaned it up and then re-siliconed the perimeter. (10+ years later it could use a re-do)

As for grout, google: oven cleaner and grout or bathrooms

I’ve also read of people using baking soda and a toothbrush.

I’ve used CLR to clean the tiles around our tub to attack the soap scum mixed with calcified water stains.

Bleach should do wonders though.* Maybe press some damp newspaper or paper towel up against it, then soak with bleach then put plastic or a black garbage bag against it and let it sit overnight. (With ventilation!)

* My wife once wrapped the old style stove top grease catchers covered in baked on grease in newspaper, put them in a black garbage bag and soaked it with bleach (can’t recall exact order of steps soak and bag or bag and soak). The next day they looked like new!

Remarkable Uses for Oven Cleaner | Reader's Digest
https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/remarkable-uses-for-oven-cleaner/

Bleach and baking soda and one hour then brush:

Cleaning Tiles | How to Clean Bathroom Tiles | Cleanipedia
https://www.cleanipedia.com/me-en/bathroom-kitchen/what-is-the-best-way-to-clean-tile s-in-the-bathroom

DaveBell
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 14:56

After all this guessing, we now get the picture. Paul, post the picture first, please.

You may have two separate problems. The caulk is stained and needs to be replaced. Use caulk, never silicone. Plan on replacing caulk about every five years. When anyone tries to replace the silicone, they will learn why only caulk should be used. No wonder you could not get the stain out. Caulk stains in about five years, silicone stains in about 8-10. You don't want to experience silicone removal.

Is the grout bare or did someone caulk it also? If the grout has a sealer on it or someone tried to cover the grout mess with caulk/silicone, that would explain why bleach didn't work.

The grout needs to be replaced. Some other folks in here may have experience resurfacing grout lines with sandpaper, masonry blade, or other way. I do not.

DaveBell
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 15:08

This problem prevention. There is a standard by some institute I can't remember - for bathroom ventilation to prevent mold. One hour. Replace your fan wall switch with the timer one that has 1 hour choice. Leviton LTB60-1LZ or similar. Not perfect but helps. Can't find a 2 hour one. Still get a little mold, but bleach cleans it, and mold occurrence is much less.

I also upgraded the helicopter-in-the-ceiling with a remote fan from Fantech. Not for mold but for sound abatement.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 15:12 - Edited by: paulz

Sorry, didn't really want to post a photo of my embarrassing bathroom. No silicone or caulk anywhere. I'm able to scrape it clean with a screwdriver. Probably been there 25 years.

Borrego
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 17:37

IF it's still fixable, I would try a pumice stone, the blocks they use to clean swimming pool tile, I've had lots of luck with those...

If it's beyond fixing and you need to remove and regrout, the multi-tools have a blade made for that that makes it a breeze...

paulz
# Posted: 28 Aug 2018 15:41

I got this grout tool at Harbor Freight yesterday, the thing is magic! Cleaned up the shower in short order, then I gave it to my wife and she went to town on the kitchen floor. I will need to add some grout I guess but it sure took the gunk out quick!

Thanks for all the replies.

https://www.harborfreight.com/professional-grout-saw-45878.html

paulz
# Posted: 23 Nov 2021 10:39

As long as this thread got a spamarooney bounce, I do have a tip I recently tried.

My old shower/tub in the city house gets used a lot by me and the dog, and the 70 year old scratched up porcelain gets grunged up quickly.

Spray on ceramic car wax is all the rage for cars these days. I'm not prone to gimmicks but it has such a following, and I had a coupon for O'Reillys, so I bought a bottle, like $15. Man, the shine it put on my truck was amazing, and where I could set stuff on the hood prior, everything I try and put up there just slides off. Supposed to last 6 months, where old fashion car wax a month or two.

Anyway I've started to put it on the old tub after washing. It's an easy spray on wipe off product, not like buffing off car wax. Getting a lot more time between tub cleanings now. Haven't tried it on the tile or grout but should, if I ever get the grout clean again.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Nov 2021 14:43

Given the age you said, it is more than likely it is NOT a siliconized grout and as such absorbed the stains. If that is the case, removal & replacement is the only option. I've likely laid over a million square feet of tile and god knows how many ceramic fireplace facias... It is what I did for 3 years, 6 days a week and far too many nights.

Some ideas mentioned "eeks" scary shit ! not even touching that. Lucky you have not gassed yourself yet.

Once grout is replaced with siliconized grout and all set & cleaned up, you can use spray furniture polish on the tub surround etc BUT NOT IN TUB ! The polish will keeps stains off, hardwater minerals and such, easy to wipe down with Tilex Shower Cleaner and a respsray of Pledge and goo to go.

As for GOOD Cleaner !
This is the Cats Meow 100% Enviro Happy and it replaced virtually all of my "chemicals" with Pink and it really is amazingly good stuff.
https://pinksolution.ca/products/clean?variant=39345895735377

cristy
# Posted: 27 Nov 2021 00:16

steam cleaning would work best

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.