Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Freestanding bench seats with built in storage - plans
fairscott99
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 14:49

Checking to see if anyone has come across plans for building free-standing bench seating that have built in storage that would be used with a dining table in a small cabin. Everything I seem to find online for bench seating is built into the wall. I have a small rectangle cabin with kitchen planned for one wall and the other walls have window. So I would like a table in the middle of the room with a bench on each side that could double as storage. Hoping someone here has already devised something like this.

Princelake
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 15:18

I didnt build it but I have a corner unit with bench and table and it can stand freely. I can take pics and measurements so you can copy it

fairscott99
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 15:35

That would be great. Thank you.

Princelake
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 16:53

Heres a pic of the corner table. It has hinges with storage but there is no reason why yours cant go to the floor for full storage. Let me know exactly what measurements you would like.
Bench
Bench

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 18:35

I've seen people in magazines and home improvement shows use base cabinets as benches for seating.

Probably could find some info Online.

rockies
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 19:34 - Edited by: rockies

One consideration for bench seating is that the seat should not be level, it should slope downwards by 5 degrees towards the seat back. Likewise, the seatback should not be perfectly vertical but angle back by 5 degrees as well. The seat surface should extend about 3 inches past the front of the bench so that the user's legs don't press against the frame.

This article shows some of the proportions necessary for comfortable seating.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/must-have-measurements-for-comfortable-seating

This drawing shows dimensions for a built-in banquet booth seat, but the same proportions and angles are applicable for a movable seat bench.
Bench Seating
Bench Seating

fairscott99
# Posted: 12 Dec 2018 13:49

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Appreciate the help.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.