Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Mr Heater Mantle Options
Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Feb 2019 09:55 - Edited by: Nobadays

Just got back from the cabin... closed on it January 30th, yay!

So as we did inventory of what the PO left there and looked at what needed repaired, updated, etc... one of the things was a few of the mantles were just hanging on in the gas lights. Most are fitted with Mr. Heater 20337 pre-formed mantles. They are on a ceramic top that just sits in slots made for these.

We figured we would just order a few to replace those in need and have a couple of extras. Shocked to see on Amazon they are $13.00 each! Around $10.00 ea if you buy a pack of 5.

We tied a spare Coleman lantern mantle on one that was destroyed and it worked but is noticeably smaller that the Mr. Heater mantle... just as bright though.

Are there better options, less costly? I see American Mantle has some that are tie on that are supposed to fit but they are $7.00 for a pack of 2..... better but what do you use?

Thanks! Don
Here is a pic of the Cabin
IMG_3810.JPG
IMG_3810.JPG

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 14:34

We have Falks propane lights in our cabin that I believe take the same mantle as your Mr. Heater ones. Yes they are expensive, we pay about $13 a piece for them. I have used other Coleman mantles on the lights without issues.

I will say though....although the mantles are $13 each, if they do not get disturbed they can last for years. But very frustrating when you buy a new one and wreck it right away.

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 18:16

Thanks Skoot.... have you tried the American Mantle, mantles? They appear larger than the Coleman ones.

I guess you are right about the Mr. Heater ones not being too overpriced if they are not disturbed and last for years. Just shocked at the price.

Cheers! Don

rockies
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 21:35

Is there a fire danger in using a mantle of a different make or size?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 22:38

I have not tried the American Mantle.

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 22:54

I have no idea if there would be any fire danger. I wouldn't think so but likely should use the correct mantles.

I did find a website that sells the pre-formed for $7.50.... don't know yet shipping. Here is the link:
https://www.propaneproducts.com/gas-light-mantles-indoors-2-1.html

Cheers! Don

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 14:21

I did a few quick google searches on using the wrong size mantle and fire risk. I couldn't find anything. What I did find is that an oversized mantle will be too big for all the fuel to properly vapourize inside it, therefore wasting fuel and resulting in a dull light.
A mantle that is undersized may give the appearance that the glow is outside of the mantle and will also not be as a bright as the recommended mantle.
No one mentioned an increased risk of fire, just an issue with maximum effectiveness.
I am no expert and became curious myself so this is just taken from a few different lantern forums and searches on google so take it with a grain of salt.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 15:40

We didn't have a replacement pre-formed mantle when we were up at the cabin so tied a coleman mantle onto the pre-formed ceramic. It worked fine though appeared to glow brighter than the proper mantle... maybe the "glow outside the mantle" you mention.

rockies
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 19:24

Why don't you contact the Mr. Heater company and ask them if there is a fire risk in using another make or size of mantle?

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 20:44

Rockies... that is good advise. That said I think I will get the proper mantles from the company I found online at $7.50 each... that is doable.

justinbowser
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 23:54

The gas light in front of our house uses the pre-formed mantle and the gas company used to give them away. When they stopped that I just tied Coleman mantles around the little ceramic ring and they worked just fine. Been using them for almost 25 years...

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Feb 2019 08:21

I don't believe there is any fire risk, hard to have a issue when you have a burning mantle and a small amount of propane flowing in. Its just going to burn.

I've tied coleman mantles on mine many times but they just aren't as bright, so I end up replacing. The last a long time if you don't touch them, or don't pound a nail into the wall they are attached to. I've done that a few times. I've got over 10 years out of some, and I've got 10minutes out of another when I was doing some renovations on the other side of the wall.

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Feb 2019 08:49

Thanks for all the input!

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Mar 2019 14:46

Makes LEDs and a small solar system seam prety cheap now.

Mr heater base camp lighys are the only lights we have at the hunting camp. They have been discontinued so get the mantles while you can. There is another company that makes them.

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Mar 2019 15:36

Brettny.... we ended up buying preformed mantles from Amazon in a 6 pack. They were cheaper than Propane Products once you figured in shipping.

We have a 1500 watt solar system designed and the components all purchased that we will install in May/June when we can get to the cabin with the pickup. That said I bet we still use the propane lights chilly mornings and evenings to take the chill off the cabin without lighting a fire in the stove.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 11:04

Quoting: Nobadays
Thanks! DonHere is a pic of the Cabin
fixed it for ya

nice cabin, very nice

Nobadays
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 18:56

Thank you Gary O..... !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.