Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Always Surprises
Wilbour
# Posted: 26 Feb 2019 21:01 - Edited by: Wilbour

Back to the cabin since the new year. Funny how in Ottawa we have snow up to your... but two hours southwest there is very little. Stinking cold though. My vented heater was not staying lit. I went outside to make sure I turned the gas full on and while I was checking the pressure regulator I heard some hissing. After checking all the connections it appears as the regulator has failed. Knowing it was going to get pretty cold tonight I knew my Buddy Heater would not make due on its own. Left for the ferry back into town. Picked up a new regulator and raced back to catch the boat.
Success! We have heat. Only took an additional 4 hours in total. Good thing I got the furnace up and running because my buddy heater eats up the little green tanks once per 4 hours on high.

I think the regulator dropped into the snow and with all the freexe/thaw cycles some moisture got in and froze. Thinking of taking it home during the winter. They are the cheapo multi fit units from Lowes (made in you know where)

Good news is my lithium battery pack level is pretty much right where I left it. Nothing like walking in and flicking some stitches and presto, lights and radio.

Cabin is now slowly warming up as the temps are dropping outside. Comforting to have my pee bucket inside and not have to go out.

Jeepgal
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 00:54

It’s always something!

creeky
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 04:52

Back out there already? Good on you.

I'm hiding out in sunny portugal. No trouble with regulators here. (Btw. I keep two spares. Maybe somebody has some hints on where you can find a reliable regulator.)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 08:24

Wilbour, if it has wheels, boobs or an address, its going to cost you money.

My dad always said to be prepared for surprises/unexpected.
Glad you got it fixed. Heck, at my place, I gripe because its 90 minutes round trip travel time and 50 miles. You have it much worse than I.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 08:51

I always have a backup regulator in the cupboard for such situations. But then I'm 7 hours from home so don't want to make extra trips.

Eddy G
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 11:43

Quoting: creeky
I'm hiding out in sunny portugal.

That sounds awesome. I took a DNA test recently and found out that I'm Italian, Irish and 8%Portuguese. Always knew about the first 2 but the Portuguese on my fathers Irish side was a complete surprise.

We where thinking of visiting Portugal anyway so now we have even more reason to do so.

Any suggestions? Where to go, stay, stay away from, eat, etc....anything would be appreciated.

Probably the wrong place to ask, sorry

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 16:35

It’s hot here at the cabin.
Life is good!
Life is good!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 17:21

Silverwaterlady…"Location - location - location!" Hope your not complainin about the heat

Fanman
# Posted: 27 Feb 2019 17:52

Those cheapo little single stage regulators aren't a good idea to use for anything indoors, and in most places, not legal for such use. A decent quality dual stage regulator is a much safer proposition.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:31

I'm in the algarve region. I like the whole area. I think next time I might favor the area around Lagos. We are meeting up with some folks near burgau. May not be spelling that right.

We'VE been told to stay inland for the true portugal experience but we're staying on the coast. Beaches.

I use dual stage regulators, but I also use 100 lb tanks.

Wilbour
# Posted: 28 Feb 2019 19:27

Quoting: Fanman
single stage regulators aren't a good idea to use for anything indoors, and in most places, not legal for such use

Mine is outdoors, hence the snow issue. It clearly states outdoor use only.

Thanks

Janemarie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2019 21:51 - Edited by: Janemarie

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
if it has wheels, boobs or an address, its going to cost you money.

The version we ladies prefer is, "If it has tires or testicles, it will give you headaches sooner or later."

Fanman
# Posted: 11 Mar 2019 20:27

Quoting: Wilbour
Mine is outdoors, hence the snow issue. It clearly states outdoor use only.

I didn't mean the regulator has to be outside, though it does, but that kind of regulator shouldn't be used to supply anything inside a building.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.