Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Bedrock! (What did you do this past weekend?)
Princelake
# Posted: 21 May 2019 07:01 - Edited by: Princelake

I spent the weekend clearing off all the top soil off the bedrock where my cabin will go. 0-12" of dirt and rock with just a shovel. What did you do this past weekend?
Bedrock
Bedrock

Brettny
# Posted: 21 May 2019 07:29

That will be a good foundation and you wont have to mow the lawn!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 21 May 2019 08:24

Quoting: Princelake
spent the weekend clearing off all the top soil off the bedrock

Me too! We've are on the Canadian Shield and have been exposing some bedrock because we love the look. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures handy.

I also spent the weekend transplanting some native plants and trees. We moved some trilliums from nearby last year and they've established nicely.
Trillium
Trillium

KinAlberta
# Posted: 21 May 2019 18:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Keep going and clear an area around the perimeter of your place to work as a fire break.

You can likely use the soil to create nice deep soil elsewhere for healthier plants and shrubs.

If you have to clear brush, don’t just burn it up, but shred it and mix it in the soil. Some old sticks and roots will last years and years and can feel like a wet sponge.

Princelake
# Posted: 22 May 2019 06:27

This northern ontario canadian shield bedrock!
Kinalberta I was planning getting gravel brought in to go around the camp over the top soil so I'm not walking through soil and tracking it and for plants less likely to grow in it. The gravel I get packs as hard as concrete

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 May 2019 16:30 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Just don’t overlook opportunity staring you in the face.

Growing up in a supremely practical, utilitarian minded family I’ve slowly come to recognize all our past lost opportunities through seeing great things achieved with near the same effort and dollars.*

Now, with google image searches, I’m even more depressed at what we could have had vs. what we do have.

Bottom line is that I love how great natural landscaping can add a ton of value to a property while significantly escaping taxation. Build anything from a big deck or pergola and they get you with higher taxes but lay out the yard to maximize the natural features and you reduce building needs, reduce maintenance and maintenance costs and even gain value at sale by not having some then aged old thing that’s become a liability.

Eg The right trees in the right spot just continue to grow and add value and enjoyment. A grand pergola can do the opposite as it ages.

Two identical cabins on two similar lots can differ a lot (no pun intended) in desirability all because one had say curving gravel edges, winding paths, trees strategically removed for just the right views, etc.

Same goes for cabin design. Some of the lowest cost or even cost reducing features can actually add a lot of value. I continue to be amazed at how people will buy great lots and then slap up a building where all they’ve done is just look down at a floor plan without a single thought as to maximizing its potential given the lots characteristics.

* as an aside, a former boss of mine made money anyway he could. Has his day job but constantly flipped houses and optioned out properties etc. He even managed to sell his American Express junk mail gif literally hundreds of dollars!

Princelake
# Posted: 22 May 2019 17:32

I totally hear you! I'm on leased property and its through a private lease no government or anything. I dont want to invest to much money into my cottage but still have everything I need not want. I've set myself a budget and I'm cutting corners where I can. Adding fancy landscaping is not something i can take with me. Adding gravel is very cheap there. I buy the gravel from the property owner, basically he has a few gravel pits on the property and he dumps it off in my yard. Its low maintenance and makes the ground flat no uneven bedrock to trip over. If this was deeded property I would be going broke going wild. I'm getting in stock windows doors siding galvanized roof etc. If it was deeded I'd be ordering fancy colors and sizes. Im building smaller then I would like also but i have to be realistic and get my needs not my wants.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 May 2019 00:11

Small-House Secrets - Fine Homebuilding
This 800-sq.-ft. cottage uses 10 strategies for great comfort and style.
By Charles Miller Issue 238 - Oct/Nov 2013
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2013/09/12/small-house-secrets

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.