Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Weed eat'in
Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Aug 2019 19:41 - Edited by: Nobadays

Wife wanted a weed eater... and she is going to town around the cabin!

Edit... me still cutting down dead and making firewood out of the solid stuff..... but we're going fishing the next few day!
20190817_165523.jpg
20190817_165523.jpg
20190817_165806_001..jpg
20190817_165806_001..jpg
20190817_164400_016..jpg
20190817_164400_016..jpg
20190817_164300_006..jpg
20190817_164300_006..jpg

creeky
# Posted: 18 Aug 2019 10:04

Nothing like a new tool to get ya going.

My gf always grumbles about the lawn mowing. But once she gets started. Try to stop her. I think next I'll see about the weed wacker. Clearing around the house keeps the bugs down.

justinbowser
# Posted: 18 Aug 2019 20:55

Neighbor at the bottom of the hill has a weed-whacker built like a lawn mower. Man, that thing'll get after it!

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Aug 2019 09:31 - Edited by: Nobadays

Creeky.... yep I've been giving it a whirl (pun intended!) myself. I cleaned out most of the high grass below the cabin yesterday but ran out of gas and was too lazy to fill it up and finish!

Justin... I've seen those advertised but most of our property is hillside so guessing one of those machines would wear you out dragging it up and down the hill.

We got a bungee type harness that helps take some weight off your arms when weed whacking. The only thing is the balance point is just above the trigger housing on the pipe running to the head. The attachment for the harness can only be put on the pipe so even with it right up against the trigger housing it's still a bit engine heavy. Must work on another attachment point to solve that issue.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Aug 2019 11:28

Quoting: Nobadays
too lazy to fill it up and finish!

that's one thing I like about gas motors. Eventually they remind you to stop and take a break.

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Aug 2019 11:48

"Eventually they remind you to stop and take a break." Hah! I actually need this... I work too much around here!

Going fishing... be back in a couple days...maybe!

Old and Slow
# Posted: 20 Aug 2019 17:19

I bought one of those wheeled string trimmers and it works pretty well on rough ground with stumps, roots and other stuff which damages mower blades. It's actually easier to push than a small rotary mower due to big wheels.

Bob

old243
# Posted: 21 Aug 2019 08:45

I built a drag. Just a 3 x5 foot frame. made from heavy angle iron. On this have an old crusher screen. A piece of chain link fencing , would work as well. Depending what you are going to pull it with, you can add additional weight. An old tire and rim. I pull with my atv. It will flatten , tall weeds, small brush. Just go over it from different directions. You can also grade your road and trails. You can then weed eat or mow to fine tune . When weed eating be very careful not to touch , the bark of trees. Damage them and they will eventually die, or be weakened.old243

paulz
# Posted: 21 Aug 2019 10:39 - Edited by: paulz

I did something different at my house this spring. Lawns are out for us, I tried. We have a higher gopher population than humans, plus at this point the house is just a way station until we can get back to the cabin.

In years past I had to constantly mow and weed whack in the spring and summer. This year I put plastic sheeting down over all the ground, all yard area. Pulled it up a month or two later, noting but dirt, even the weeds and gophers moved on. No it ain't pretty but I haven't touched that infernal temperamental two stroke, line braking weed whacker all year.

I should probably go get some rock...

No weed whacking at my cabin either. Nothing grows under the redwoods.
rt_100.jpg
rt_100.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2020 19:56

My wife really likes her lightweight cordless elec trimmer with the Lith battery; no harness or ear-muffs required. Most of the time she can run it on low and it cuts fine and the battery lasts quite a while longer.
When the battery needs charging it pretty much just stops, running good, then nothing. So she stops too. So far we just have the one battery so it is a 'forced break' time.
It charges up nicely on the psw inverter.

Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Dec 2020 20:29

Gcrank1...l I thought you were going to tell the "canned meat" poster above, "how not to beat his wife"

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2020 22:04 - Edited by: gcrank1

I trying to not encourage these idiots that think this kind of 'marketing' is going to work.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 08:19

Our property isnt even up to weed wacker standards yet. I have a old big wheel push mower I'm still mowing small saplings and briar patches with. We really could use a walk behind brush mower.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 08:34

Our grass is pretty much bunch grasses so it's really uneven and we are hillside property. Might be able to use one of those push type string trimmers but I can't imagine holding it back going down hill and dragging it back up... side hill of course but at some point....

I did most of the half acre surrounding the cabin last spring in one day. Having trimmed it the year before really cut down on the work. The bunch grasses just seem to get bigger and bigger with a lot of dead grass underneath. That stuff is hard to weed eat, the fresh growth is fairly easy. So after a first trimming it went quick.

Oh... the key word above is "I"... apparently the novelty wore off pretty quickly last year, my wife didn't even touch the weed eater this year!

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 09:46

We pull a log pulled around with a 4 wheeler to nock the devils club down.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.