Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New Tractor
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
DaveBell
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 06:08

Dealer called yesterday, tractor has arrived. Tomorrow I'm going over to drop off the weld on hooks. I'm doing like Toy did and putting three on the front loader - one in the middle for light loads and two at each end at strong support points for heavier loads. The fourth will go on the back hoe bucket.

Watching one of Andrew Camarata's videos, he had a squeak on a mini excavator. There were a couple of hinge pin points that didn't have a zerk. He removed each pin, drilled a hole, tapped it, and put in a zerk.

I don't know why manufacturers don't have a zerk at every hinge point.

So I will be looking the tractor over to see if I need to add any. I thought about doing those myself but since there is a service shop right there, might as well have them do it. Any of you guys have hinge points on your tractors that don't have zerks?

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:11

Toyota im not sure where your located but any where in the salt belt square/round tube will rust out from the inside. Theres no way to seal it enough to stop this. It is very strong but so is C channel and C channel usualy is a bit cheaper.

Dave be carefull lifting heavy loads from only one side hook. You can really tweak a loader bad. Welding a bar across the top of the bucket and having a grab hook in the center is better for really heavy stuff. Then you have less chance of bending the loader or turning the tractor over.

I saw that video of andrew and his kobelco mini ex. I believe thats a European design. I still like grease fittings and would add them if you feel the need.

If you have a backhoe on your tractor get a thumb. Hydraulic or manual dosnt matter, get one. It will change your life.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:31 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Brett, we use no salt in winter. Some sand. The box tube is welded or capped at each end, but I will blow small drain holes underside at each end to drain off water with my plasma cutter. This will be about 1/8" hole to allow any sweat to drain off.

I have worked on cars that came from mid west and from NY, an alignment on a 2014 4Runner required a cutting torch to burn off eccentrics for control arms to get them out so new can be installed. A little anti seize from the factory would go a long ways vs just the plated hardware. Salt is so destructive and its hard on the environment and kills all plant life around it.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 12:26

Ha
The American Salt Mine is in my area. Largest in the US. They use salt around here like it going out of style. I've always worked on my own cars. I didn't know twisting bolts out was easy until I worked on my brother's car in Texas

I'm convinced the car dealerships purchase the salt and give it away free to the municipalities.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Oct 2019 19:38

OK, decking will be 2X6, need to hang fenders, build under deck ramps and attachments, tail lamps and all wiring, stake pockets and 1/2" D rings down each side. We put on in the middle front to winch up a deal car if needed. So far, 3 days of work, about 6 to 7 hours per day. I figure 2 more days, maybe 3 max and its all done. I have all the metal cut for the ramps, just need to glue them together.
trailerframed4.jpg
trailerframed4.jpg
trailerframes2.jpg
trailerframes2.jpg
trailerframed5.jpg
trailerframed5.jpg
trailer_framed1.jpg
trailer_framed1.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Oct 2019 15:32 - Edited by: DaveBell

Hooks
007.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG
009.JPG
005.JPG
005.JPG

Nobadays
# Posted: 24 Oct 2019 15:56

Man does it make me salivate to see this nice new backhoe! The hooks look great... and useful from my experience with machinery. I could really use one on our property for a couple of weeks. My son in law has a Kubota that he talked about bring up.... but he lives in Eastern Oregon and our cabin is in south central Colorado, not holding my breath.

But.... my neighbor is a retired construction worker... rock and roads... and he has a full sized Case backhoe he will be bringing up in the spring. My wife suggested I ask him about bartering.... firewise work on his acre for some backhoe time. I asked him to think about it and he came right back with, "yep, we can do that." We finished clearing all the dead fall off our place.... so I guess in the spring we start on the neighbor's place! Good trade though!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2019 20:47

Dave, looks great, nice adding the backhoe hook too. I would of done the same, if I had a backhoe.
Its nto ruled out yet, about 8K installed, BH77.

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 16:14 - Edited by: DaveBell

So, day 2, tearing out the deck. Ran over a board nail, right front tire goes flat. Front loader is also the tire jack, lifted the front end right up. Plugged the tire, inflated it. Tomorrow we attack the retaining wall that does retain anything.

I called the commercial tire company. They are coming out tomorrow to put a gallon of Tire Seal in each front tire. ($200) The tractor dealer told me he had put Beet Juice in both rear tires. 3/4 full.

Never heard of it. From the Internet:

"Any amount of beet juice will protect the rim from rusting. However, filling the tire 75-80% will optimize pulling power and, just as importantly, lower the center of gravity and increase the overall stability of the piece of equipment."
003.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
006.JPG

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:50

it's all fun and games until you get a flat tire

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:32 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Dave, you get a flat? I ended up with a slow leak in my LF tire, even after tire store fixed it. Fortunately not the back that are filled with beet juice. With beet juice, do not check tire pressure unless valve stems are at 12 o'clock.

Dave, I have beet juice, you probably could of gotten away without it, but you'd have to always have the backhoe on there. I think having it is good. The ability for a tractor to do work is based on its weight, lighter tractor, less work, regardless of engine power. They used to use calcium, but it corroded the rims from the inside out. Beet juice is the new deal. I got the beet juice in mine too.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 12:48

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
With beet juice, do not check tire pressure unless valve stems are at 12 o'clock.

sounds like a learning moment here lol

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 14:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: sparky30_06
sounds like a learning moment here lol

Sticky and gooey, gums up a nice tire gauge in a hurry.

Wait till you have to haul a rear tire into town to the tire store for a repair, need an engine hoist to get it in back of a truck.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 15:01

Wait till you have to haul a rear tire into town to the tire store for a repair, need an engine hoist to get it in back of a truck.

been there, done that. then add wheel weights and chains too that have to be removed first. That farm call is worth the money at that point!

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:24

This is what the Tire Company put in my front tires.

https://www.texasrefinery.com/products/specialty-products/tireseal/
trc6texasrefinery.jpg
trc6texasrefinery.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:37 - Edited by: DaveBell

No, and it was the main reason I got the L2501, this is a 25HP tractor and I have no emissions, anything under 26HP were exempt. I would love to have gotten the 33 or 39HP model, but the regen wasn't for me.

The Yanmar ReGen light comes on, I push a button for a few seconds, ReGen starts burning out the exhaust filter, 10 minutes later - done. Regen is no big deal. I keep working while ReGen is happening - per the manual.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 06:50

It keeps working...until it dosnt. I worked for a municipality when mack trucks came out with DPF and regen systems. They had major problems with both systems. Either way the Japanese make quality diesel equipment and after working on many different brands Japanese is the only stuff I own.

I guess this could be why equipment with an age range of 15yr+ has really lost very little value over its cost new.

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:21

I'm thinking about getting a PTO tiller. I have rocks in WV. I'm concerned the rocks will tear up the tiller tines. I would like a PTO forestry mulcher because the tines are much thicker. I cannot find one online. Any of you guys use a PTO tiller? Do the rocks tear it up?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Aug 2021 08:22

Dave, I have used a smaller Kubota years ago with a PTO rear tiller, ran off the 3 point, driven by the PTO. Worked well. We have loamy sand but if we did find a rock, you can feel it jump and we would just elevate the tiller to get over it. You can do some skimming, shallow, then work your way deeper. After the soil is loosened, you can usually pick out the rocks, then go back for another pass.

I see I need to follow up with my trailer build too for tractor hauling. Maybe add some final pictures.
5004.jpg
5004.jpg
5005.jpg
5005.jpg
5002.jpg
5002.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 2 Aug 2021 09:51

Toy, thanks for the advice. Multiple shallow passes sounds good. Nice work on the trailer.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.