Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Loft ladders
<< . 1 . 2 .
TomChum
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 00:55 - Edited by: TomChum

Check out this 'loft ladder'. Photo is from the adventure journal blog, in a section called "weekend cabin". The blog is something like "Sunset Magazine" but every once in awhile it has a genuine classical style 'cabin'. Most of the time it shows modernistic architect designed vacation homes where it's not a cabin, it's just a small dwelling in a remote setting.

This one is in Uruguay, and the cabin is based on classical style but..... anyway a kinda cool idea for a ladder. I wouldn't do it though except maybe for a treehouse.
strange loft ladder
strange loft ladder

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 16:38

HotRodDoug-

Could you please take a photograph of the hinge mechanism for both the top and the split in the middle of the ladder for me? I need to rig up this exact same contraption.

Thank you!

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Jun 2012 15:44

Here's a video link from of few months ago of the loft ladder that I constructed and now wish to hinge in half and rig up a pulley system for storage: (fast forward to 1:37minutes to go straight to the ladder)

http://youtu.be/bIBThsQIUhY

beachman
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 18:25

Here is my loft ladder. Got some great ideas from this site. The ladder works great and I will move it around to the other side when it is less cluttered with building stuff.
Loft ladder
Loft ladder

Rifraf
# Posted: 17 Jul 2012 11:24 - Edited by: Rifraf

I posted this on my build thread, I hope it's ok to post it here as well.

Heres my custom ladder. I will be making another one for the opposite loft. Its a stagger step style made from 2x8 untreated , I later put a thick coat of poly on it. It has two (3 inch ) screws on each side of every step. Each step is also sitting on a support strip that also is screwed and glued into place, using 1.5 inch screws. Seems very strong to me.

ladder

countryneig
# Posted: 7 Jan 2016 20:01

We make rustic log ladders for a living, and would be glad to help with questions (maybe even have some answers). ;o)
Patrick
3._SkipPeeled_Pine_.jpg
3._SkipPeeled_Pine_.jpg
62637_60286107973168.jpg
62637_60286107973168.jpg
12._We_make_railing_.png
12._We_make_railing_.png

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 06:47

While i don't have a picture... my neighbor uses a tree for his loft ladder.

It's a huge piece of a cedar tree that is cut flat on the bottom where it adjoins the floor.

Various branches are then cut about 9" from the trunk, alternating on both sides. These branches are thick enough to hold a mans weight.

The whole tree is covered with poly... so it has a nice shine.

It's very cool... gives lots of charm to the place.

jaymelgarage
# Posted: 2 Feb 2017 20:22

Do you have the plans for this staircase? This is exactly what I am needing to access my 10ft loft

jaymelgarage
# Posted: 2 Feb 2017 20:24 - Edited by: jaymelgarage

hotroddoug

Quoting: hotroddoug
Here is a couple of pics of how I solved the problem of accessing the loft in a very small cabin. I used a game hoist block and tackle from Cabellas with 8:1 mechanical advantage - need every bit of it to lift the stairs.

Do you have the plans for this staircase? This is exactly what I am needing to access my 10ft loft

lisaburtraw
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 14:31

hotroddoug

Hello Doug,

I am a new member only to be able to chat with you about this ladder (see the info that I cut and pasted from your post re it below in this message) you built for the cabin. I have a similar space, and would like to recreate your ladder. Could you please share with me the plans to build it? We need to have it built by the end of this month, June 2019.

Thank you, Lisa and Jeff
As I am unsure how the chatting here works, could you please send me information to my email as well, at lisa@risingheart.net?

# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 07:24

Here is a couple of pics of how I solved the problem of accessing the loft in a very small cabin. I used a game hoist block and tackle from Cabellas with 8:1 mechanical advantage - need every bit of it to lift the stairs.
P1010015.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG

lisaburtraw
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 14:45

hotroddoug

Hello Doug,

......??If you could please share with us, Our main specific question are the two parts of the ladder hinged together?

I am a new member only to be able to chat with you about this ladder (see the info that I cut and pasted from your post re it below in this message) you built for the cabin. I have a similar space, and would like to recreate your ladder. Could you please share with me the plans to build it? We need to have it built by the end of this month, June 2019. Our main specific question are the two parts of the ladder hinged together?

Thank you, Lisa and Jeff
As I am unsure how the chatting here works, could you please send me information to my email as well, at lisa@risingheart.net?

# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 07:24

P1010015.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG
Quoting: hotroddoug

Asher
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:51

We just used one of those prefab attic ladders you get from Menard's like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladders-scaffolding/attic-ladders/keller-reg-8-woo d-attic-ladder-type-i/w2208k/p-1444436677656-c-7976.htm?tid=-14086375470373580&&ipos= 4

It seemed like the best solution to our needs. Our loft is mainly storage or a place for a guest to sleep for a night (low ceiling, not very roomy). The stairs stay folded up and out of our way 95% of the time.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.