Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 14 x 20 Planning
<< . 1 . 2 .
Hatties Hubby
# Posted: 20 Dec 2010 21:41

Generally generators work better at high speed than low speed. The Roman hamster wheel was very low speed. The rollers of a conventional treadmill are relatively high speed. Why not just remove the friction device from a treadmill and replace it with a generator? It might take a bit of playing with gear ratios to get the resistence you like. That could probably be done with stepped (cone) pulleys and a V-belt.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Dec 2010 14:32

This is not an endorsement of specific suppliers, just the idea of a bicycle powered generator.

http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com/

http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm

waverlyroxane
# Posted: 17 Jul 2011 19:24

We have just put in a contract on property near Redfield (we are from MD). Christmas and Assoc is putting in the frame to the cabin. It looks to be the same as yours. I' interested in hearing about how you handle utilities. I'm interested in solar, but we will be in the woods. Is it possible to set a panel up out by the field and run wires, do you think? I'm considering an incinerating toilet, and putting in a well at some point. Just starting to think about these things and wanted to hear our thoughts since you are in the neighborhood.

Jam
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 11:32

Your layout is very similar to ours, as is the size of your cabin. We have a steep open staircase with narrow treads(steps) going to the second floor, with a railing made from small stripped branches. What I am suggesting is that it is sort of a middle-ground between a ladder and a staircase. It takes less room than a staircase but is easier to climb and more attractive than a ladder. One warning we give everyone, though, is that they should come down the stairs as if it were a ladder - holding the railing and facing the stairs. That is safer, since the treads are so narrow and it is steeper thana normal stairway. We love it!

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 02:18

how abou tbuilding with bamboo and hay or pine needles for istalation

Retired
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 14:17

There are all kinds of cabin plans on the internet, you can find one that will suit all your desires. I paid only about $29 for mine and although the blue prints were fairly simple, it made construction much easier by referring to the plans and not have to guess on how to build it. You also know what it looks like when its done. I fear if you design a floor plan and build from your own plan the outside may look rather boxey. Good luck

Trekermt
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 17:29

I'm new here but have enjoyed reading the information. I'm looking to build a cabin myself. Lots of helpful tips here. Keep them coming...please.
Thanks

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.