Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Passive Solar Cabin
du6988
# Posted: 15 Feb 2012 11:57 - Edited by: du6988

I would like to build this cabin below. I have a few questions that I'm sure some of you can help answer.

1. How do I figure the foundation size to hold the structure?

2. I would like to use dimensional lumber for the rafters with 2x10 t/g decking with metal roof. How do I figure the load for this and is there any problems with the connections to the timbers from rafters?

Thanks, any help would be great
Passive Solar Cabin
Passive Solar Cabin

spicyacres
# Posted: 15 Feb 2012 13:40

... aslo look into exterior mounted solar air heaters.

Haltzy
# Posted: 1 Feb 2016 17:21

Very Interesting... Do you have dimensions on this? I wonder how big one could go. Construction would be a lot easier than doing a traditional trussed vault.

How big are you going?

Jebediah
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 06:10 - Edited by: Jebediah

du6988 I'm sure I have seen this exact build somewhere on this site. NOW seeing the original date of this post it was probably built already! and it was this persons build that I was looking at....

Haltzy
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 17:28

Wow, didn't even notice.... 2012...

Jebediah
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 17:43 - Edited by: Jebediah

Yup I 've done this a few times now We'll blame it on small cabin fever!

Don_P
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 18:09

Looking at the pic it appears to be ~24'x24'
Neat idea, don't build or model from that sketch, it must have been a first draft, the roof needs work.
Our house started like that but we put a gable roof on the upper section and did the lower shed. I originally was going to put operable windows in that clerestory above the shed roof until we felt the heat rolling up that south facing roof in the sun. Those are fixed panes and I think a good choice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.