Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Interior
. 1 . 2 . >>
Part time
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 13:56

Hello all, looking for suggestions on interior wood finishes. I'm getting ready to enclosed my walls now that my plumbing and electrical is complete but have totally blown my budget so far. I'm looking for a inexpense wood wall covering. I have about 1,000 sf of area to cover, I've thought about plywood but since the cabin is very tight, I'm worried about off gassing. I was able to find 1" x 6" Number 2 yellow pine for about $1.10 a square foot but this is still a little high for my budget, does anyone have any ideas and/or sources for something less expensive? My place is located in Mississippi.
Thanks

wakeslayer
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 14:48

I have used 1x6x8' T&G pine in my cabins and at home. It is $0.42 per linear foot at Home Depot. It is just plain pine at that price.
You will have to dig a bit to get all straight boards, and they don't stay that way. You will also want a finish nailer and a compressor for the job. Doing it by hammer and nail is simple but very time consuming.

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composites-Boards/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqmc/R-100028238/h_d2/ ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Rifraf
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 14:55

wakeslayer,

you have any pics of a finished room with these. I've also considered them and read good reviews but not seen any rooms completed with them.

Good topic

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 15:38

Rifraf

wakeslayer,

Thanks for the info, I'll checkout Home Depot and see what I can find. I already have a nailer and compressor. I plan on using just a clear coat finish on the wood and pine is just fine with me.

I'll post pics during the job.

Thanks again.

Hick
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 16:11

Part time,

My wife and I used cedar T&G. Found it on craigslist for a good price. It is utility grade so it has more knots in it. We both think it looks pretty good. Just a thought.
Cedar
Cedar

wakeslayer
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 16:30

Hick,
That cedar looks great !!

Rif, and Anon,

This is a blue pine, so the stuff at HD has a bit less character. Of course, I got hammered on the price, and would have just used the less expensive wood, had I a choice at the time.
We did not finish any of the walls. It is just raw wood. We had intended to clear coat it, but have not got around to it, and after 5 years, probably won't.

Mike
cabin_interior.jpg
cabin_interior.jpg
outhouse_002.jpg
outhouse_002.jpg
loft_cabinets_001.jp.jpg
loft_cabinets_001.jp.jpg
fireplace_001.jpg
fireplace_001.jpg

Part time
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 16:40

Hick / Wakeslayer,

I only hope my cabin comes out half as nice as yours, that's the look I'm trying to achieve. I'm guessing you guys live in a northern climate and have a greater selection of material. I read somewhere last night that a guy used spruce but really not available around here. The only option I have in Mississippi is pine, cypress is available also but cost a lot more.

Rpdranc
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 16:51 - Edited by: Rpdranc

New to site this afternoon.I have no carpentry skills whatsoever, but have begun a new hobby with this project. I would like to finish the interior of a playhouse by our pond with knotty pine, rough hewn(or should I use cedar) tongue and groove paneling on ceiling, floor and Knotty Pine 1/4 log on walls. The cabin is made out of landscape timbers, but is very sturdy, we have full electrical panel in it as well. 10x19 1/2 feet less covered porch. Can I do this? Do I need vapor barrier on walls, floor and ceiling? Do i need to vent the ceiling? I have considerable cracks between timbers, what do i use to 'chink'? can i nail right to existing timbers? If someone could point me in the right direction i plan on taking my time and really finishing this nice inside! Anyone familiar with "The Woodworkers Shoppe? was going to buy from them? Thanks!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 17:01

Yep, live in Minnesota, cabin in North Idaho. Lotsa pine.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 17:10

@Rpdranc- First off, welcome to the forum! If I can make a suggestion, I would recommend you start your own thread with your questions. Your questions are all good and there are many on the forum that will help answer them. But as many don't fall under the original "cabin interior" topic, you may get more attention with your own dedicated topic.

VC_fan
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 19:04

I was also looking for something very inexpensive. I used something called a "utility panel" that was about $10/sheet at Lowe's. It's only 5 mm thick which makes it very light and easy to move around, but it's also obviously flimsy. With insulation behind, if you push on the wall it still moves just a bit (I have 24" oc studs, would be a lot better with 16" oc). But it's very pretty and has its own kind of character - each sheet has a nice grain but the grain's different from sheet to sheet. I trimmed things out with simple and cheap 1x2 furring strips and it looks pretty nice. I noticed no significant odor from it as you get from OSB, etc. Just a thought, and it may be worth $10 to you to buy a sheet and give it a shot. I also did the ceiling with the same stuff and did something that would make any real carpenter cringe. Nothing about my shack's square. On the ceiling, I just overlapped the panels as opposed to painstakingly cutting them to fit and attempting to line them up with the rafters. From a few feet away, the sheets are so thin that you can't even tell.

Part time
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 19:17

VC,
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at it, if I decide to go the plywood route, I plan to put battens up so it looks like a board and batten construction. But after seeing the pics above I'm thinking about saving a little longer and doing it in T&G.

Malamute
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 20:37 - Edited by: Malamute

I did log-to-log siding on the inside and outside of this frame cabin, and blue stain pine for the interior dividing walls, trim, and kitchen cabinets.

I've used No 3 pine 1x6 T&G for ceilings, it has more knots, and is about 20% less money than the No 2 grade. I've had very good results with the No 3.

Blue pine should cost about what No 2 or even No 3 pine T&G should. It' considered a lower grade than No 2.

Part time
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 20:51

Malamute
Wow, awesome job, that's the look we're trying to get. I've called a few sawmills in La, Ms and Alabama region but most only have No1 and some No 2 pine. I have a lead on some No 3 cypress and will be checking on that tomorrow.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 09:17 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Part time

...I've thought about plywood but since the cabin is

I used 3/8" thick plywood, nice side out. It looks nice and plywood doesnt gas like OSB and looks nice. I need to just sand off the stamps next.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 09:25

Malamute. Wow, is that ever nice. Good job.

My blue ain't that blue. Again, gorgeous !!!

Part time
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 09:36

Toyota,
Do you have any pics of your interior? If I put up plywood I'm thinking about putting up battens so it would look like vertical planks. Did you stain or clear coat the plywood?
Thanks

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 17:24

Malamute
Wow, awesome job, that's the look we're trying to get. I've called a few sawmills in La, Ms and Alabama region but most only have No1 and some No 2 pine. I have a lead on some No 3 cypress and will be checking on that tomorrow.

Sawmills? Try the lumber yards, they may get it trucked in from the same places they can get regular pine T&G from. They may not even know its available until they ask their suppliers.

neb
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 09:07

Malamute
Very nice work looks great...

brokeneck
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 20:05

Not very fancy but I found cedar pickets for a steal -- they gave it a rustic look and sure smell great.
c2.JPG
c2.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 13:37

brokeneck...This is very nice looking!!!! Is the black panel chalkboard?

Part time
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 14:08

Brokeneck,
I'm looking to get a rustic look, I like the way your interior came out. I went over to Home Depot yesterday and priced out cedar fence board, it's almost the same cost as there whitewood t&g by the sq ft. I had been looking to deal direct with small sawmills but it looks like I can maybe get better pricing from lumber yards due to volume.

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 21:40

How about getting plain old whitewood and dadoing it on your table saw. Save ya some big money......... Not T&G, but shiplap....

Part time
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 10:11

Borrego,

I used my phone calculator to run some quick numbers at Home Depot the other day and to my surpise, the white wood plain end boards worked out to about the same price, a little cheaper but not much. I have a lead I'm calling this morning to find out about some cypress.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Part time
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 10:55

SCORED!!!!!!

Found some 1 x 6 V-groove #2 southern yellow pine for $1 buck per sq ft., they also have 1 x 12 sq edge shelf board for .83 cents per sq ft., can't wait to pick it up and get started.

I'll send pics when I get start. It will be a few weeks before I start, I'm living and working in Houston Tx and drive over to my place in Mississippi about every 4 to 6 weeks for a long weekend. I hope gas prices go down, it's a 430 mile trek each way!

Many thanks to all who gave advice and read my post.

Part Time

customrunner
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 11:40 - Edited by: customrunner

Malamute, just beautiful!!!!
hope my interior work looks half as nice as yours....

brokeneck
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 14:48 - Edited by: brokeneck

Quoting: trollbridge
brokeneck...This is very nice looking!!!! Is the black panel chalkboard?

No the cabin is a screen house in the summer -- that's one of the heavy waxed canvas curtains a friend of mine sewed up for us. They velcro tightly down to cover the screens -- and they roll up -- or down - out of the way when not needed.
curtains.jpg
curtains.jpg

brokeneck
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 14:51 - Edited by: brokeneck

Brokeneck,I'm looking to get a rustic look, I like the way your interior came out. I went over to Home Depot yesterday and priced out cedar fence board, it's almost the same cost as there whitewood t&g by the sq ft. I had been looking to deal direct with small sawmills but it looks like I can maybe get better pricing from lumber yards due to volume.

Yeah I found it on craidslist for about 1/3 what Home Depot asks....

brokeneck
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 15:17

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I used 3/8" thick plywood, nice side out. It looks nice and plywood doesnt gas like OSB and looks nice. I need to just sand off the stamps next.

Yeah my original plan was to use plywood as well -- found some on sale at Home Depot that was super cheap even bought it --- but when I put the first sheet up it just wasn't the look I wanted -- I do agee the battens would give it a plank look though....

brokeneck
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 15:21

Quoting: customrunner
Malamute, just beautiful!!!!

Awesome work !!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.