Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Your Plans for the Summer
dstraate
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:17

Hey All, Once mother nature stops doing things to deliberately hamper my productivity (as in snowing and freezing) I'm hoping to accomplish a few things. I want to make a 10X10 addition to my deck, adding steps and a guard rail. I want to add a hardwood floor, and surround my stove with cement board and a river rock mosaic. I want to clean and reblack the stove (particularly with all of this creosote discussion). That should be enough for this year. I also need to reserve plenty of time for lounging and elk watching.

What are your plans for Summer 2012?

Patgreat
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:28

I need to finishing painting the outside of my cabin and shed, would like to get my plumbing working again and most importantly have my best year of bass fishing ever.

Also continue my battle with the surrounding landscape to keep my yard looking nice but most impoprtantly usable.

Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:37

I will be doing some major landscaping work and installing a deck for my summer tent/cabana. I had planned on setting up a 10x10 shed and using it as a cabin, but have since come to different thoughts. Just don't want to risk having the town issue a fine, etc. I am playing it safe until I eventually build a properly permitted cottage on the lot (distant future).

It's not such a bad deal, we also have waterfront access and have installed a dock on site. Boating and fishing will be a priority!

Viking

Seto
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 12:03

i live at my cabin year round, my goals will be to build a pole barn for firewood, a green house, and setup a series of raised bed gardens and a small orchard. as well as build a root cellar. I hope to grow and preseve a lot of my own food for winter.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 13:15

One project: build some shear wall bracing between the piers under the cabin.

Everything else is optional.

Relax. Take a trip to CA Yosemite area.

I'll probablt think of some other small things. Or Karen will.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 13:46

To build a dock.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 14:12

- Put in a mile of fencing and a gate.

- Drill a well and install the pump and solar/batteries.

- Add a deck on to the front of the second shed.

- Finish the exterior caulk/paint on both sheds.

- Finish the interior of both sheds.

- Install the outdoor shower at the second shed.

- Install the wood fired hot tub at the second shed.

Just a couple of things...

hattie
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 14:50

I need to paint the trim AGAIN on the cabin - grrrrr. We will garden and then do lots of preserves. Come fall, Bob will be grouse hunting with Molly. Oh, and we'll be running the motel and talking to lots of tourists and sitting on the porch and watching the wildlife.

AYP1909
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 15:25

Since the sawmills seem to be opening up again we plan to meet with a logger in April to discuss the thinning that we had planned for last summer. We need to replace a 1/4 mile of fencing and submit our site analysis plan to the county so that we can apply for a building permit for the cabin before the snow flies next fall.

justincasei812
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 15:45

Well since I bought the cabin in January I am sure there are a lot of things I do not know about until the snow stops falling.

I would like to seal the cabin from wildlife (it's not bad but there are some oppertunities to enter),

I am sure I will need to paint some trim and stain both decks.

I would like to get the shed off of the ground, maybe a cinder block or two up to prevent rot.

Fix all the surprises that are found

Drink some cocktails and make memories!!

Kevin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.