Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / average septic system costs?
countryred
# Posted: 21 Apr 2012 13:11

We are in the planning stages and trying to get a ballpark price on a few expenses.

1. How much does an average septic system run?

2. Is there a way to gauge how many gallons size for the tank

Our cabin will have 2 sinks, a toilet, a shower, and a small washer dryer combo.

evrmc1
# Posted: 21 Apr 2012 15:12

your local health department will have that info. the size of you drain lines is based on how many bedrooms u have, and I think a 500/1000 gal tank is standard

PA_Bound
# Posted: 21 Apr 2012 17:37

This is a difficult cost to estimate, as it greatly depends on what type of septic system is permitted. On my house I have a standard septic system, that I would estimate would cost between $6-$8K to install. On my cabin however, I must install a sand-mound system with estimates 3x those numbers.

As for the tank size, I think 1000 gal is about the standard for a traditional home now.

Malamute
# Posted: 21 Apr 2012 18:05 - Edited by: Malamute

It's up to 5K now here for a standard system. Crazy. They are not exactly highly technical. I think the first one I did was about 2K. Nothing's changed but the cost of materials and machine time.

countryred
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 12:11

Thanks, I was hoping for 1-2 K. But that was just a guess. It will only have 1 bedroom and the soil is a very loose rocky type so it shouldn't need a big field area. May have to contact a local contractor and see what they do in that county.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 14:57

Is your cabin in an area that requires septic permits, or can you do pretty much anything you please? I ask because if you are in an area that requires permits don't speak to contractors, go to the permitting authority. The permitting authority will tell you what soil tests are required and, from those results, what type, design and size the system will need to be (or other options). One bedroom isn't very big, but regulated areas often have minimum size requirements for septic systems- regardless of the number of rooms.

If your cabin is in an unregulated area (lucky you!), then a contractor should be able to help you out.

countryred
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 16:53

I'll have to do some checking on this. There is a lot of undeveloped area with small vacation cabins.

Malamute
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 22:42 - Edited by: Malamute

The tank alone is about 1K, then there's excavation costs, gravel for the fields, and plastic perforated pipe. Some places require a certain type material over the gravel, some you can use straw.

As was mentioned, there's often a specified minimum size, such as "up to 3 bedrooms". You have to do a perk test. The county should have the permit package with instructions on how to do the perk test, then it's calculated from the test results.

If you can run a backhoe, and rent one, you may save some money, but it needs to be done right to pass, if they inspect, which I would guess they will. It isnt rocket science, but nees to be done correctly to work properly, and pass inspection.

Aqua
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 23:22

I have heard horror stories, someone buying land, with the knowledge of average septic costs for their area. Then finding their piece of land is far from average and spending over $20K on their septic. Ouch.

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 23:45

here in southern Missouri , you can get a septic complete install for about 3k - 3500

Mine will cost 3400.00

Montanan
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 00:02

About $5K here, including permitting. We had to meet the "up to 3 bedrooms" minimum size too.

larry
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 11:01

don't give up hope yet. i had a standard system installed last year,it has a 750 single compartment concrete tank with 350sq.ft. drain field, minimum spec for my area, for 1500.00 usd. i would get to know the locals and ask around. the person who installed mine lives 4 miles away and did it in one day. fyi...my area is well draining sandy soil.

boltpost
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 12:16

In the coming weeks I will have a mound system. This is two tanks, raised sand mound, cost $6800.00. Design fees 1300.00, plus permiting.

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 14:01

About $15,000 for a 2 BR Presby system, around $13,500 for the primary part and another $1,500 for running a really long pipe to the drain field.

spelk1
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 16:41

$3500 Canadian for a 2000 gallon holding tank, that included digging it in.

countryred
# Posted: 25 Apr 2012 20:26

My area should be very well draining, but a lot of rock mean extra time for digging. Sounds like I might have as much invested in the septic and cistern as I do in the land by itself.
Its all a few years away so I have time to plan and figure it all out.

millerke
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 16:39

Anyone thought of putting in a central composting toilet system and greywater recycling system, or Branch Drains to your Trees or flower beds. Also an attached greenhouse with pvc gravity drain plumbing to greenhouse with water absorbing plants will reduce water usage and you will not have enough water for your plants. Already checked this out with Clivus Mulstrum. Stay away from putting any type of utility on your cabin property and you can file for a variance. Show the courts that you have contemplated safety into your design. Their talk of safety is always about property value and their own (government) monetary interests.

countryred
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 17:32

The Missouri DNR is kinda picky, and looks like our little cabin is treated just like a 3 bedroom house on tank size, etc...

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 17:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: millerke
Anyone thought of putting in a central composting toilet system and greywater recycling system

Some states make it easy with an approved list of composting or incinerating toilets plus vaults and privies and designs for what works for them with greywater. WA is one. Others are still not so progressive.

countryred
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 19:01

In Missouri, grey water and black water are considered the same and have to both be run into a septic tank.

But we will just deal with it,. all part of the plan.

Truls
# Posted: 25 Dec 2016 14:37

companies that do this for living in this area art totally cons. $18k to30K for a simple system but they have it locked up since it is impossible to get a building permit without a company doing it.

Truls
# Posted: 25 Dec 2016 14:39

4 -- 20 foot lines 750 g plastic tank d box all in sand with very easy percabale ground. I had my own backhoe and sand and gravel all they had to supply was the pipes d box and tank. 21K

Rickkrus
# Posted: 25 Dec 2016 21:16

Just paid $5000 last spring in Colorado

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Dec 2016 22:05

About $5000 for a basic system, this is a septic and a drain field.

benny8
# Posted: 31 Dec 2016 14:34

We installed our own Presby system 13 years ago. 3 bedroom design. Paid my buddy $100 bucks to dig the tank whole and the leach field. $100 for the excavator. $2500 for the tank, pipes and system sand. Just did an estimate for my cabin property. 2 bedroom Presby=$2700 for tank, pipes, system sand and delivery fees.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jan 2017 12:35

Septic tank will be about 1200 gallons.

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Jan 2017 22:26

When I did mine, a 1200 gallon tank would handle up to three bedrooms. But I saw that a 1500 gallon tank cost only $200 more or so. It will handle up to 5 or 6 bedrooms. But also, longer to wait between pumpings. Cost of pumpings at my place is very high because they have to truck the **** over 100 miles to the closest water treatment plant that will accept it. So, I figured a little more on the tank now, and a lot less on pumping charges later.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Jan 2017 17:25

Quoting: bldginsp
When I did mine, a 1200 gallon tank would handle up to three bedrooms. But I saw that a 1500 gallon tank cost only $200 more or so

I'm all about HD, so I'd spring the extra $200 for a 1500 gallon tank if space wasn't a factor. Who knows, you might remodel and add a room or two, its already in place too.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 08:12

Just got a price on our 2br system...1500 gallon tank and four lines (can't remember the total length) for $2800. This is a relatively easy installation, not flat but not steep terrain.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.