Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / wood floor vs. carpet?
. 1 . 2 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 17:39 - Edited by: trollbridge

Need thoughts on this. Our bedroom floor needs to get done and we thought from the beginning we would just go with carpet. We have a piece that will work nicely. Warm on the tootsies on those cold winters nights...Now we aren't sure.

We also have a very old maple floor that years and years ago we ripped out of an old farm house before it was burned down. It is skinny little strips about 1 1/2 inches wide or maybe a tad more and each piece is about 2 feet long. Would be much more work to install but would look cool.

When we wrapped the walls in the kitchen and the living room with the old wooden siding (stripped from an old church that was coming down) and stood back it kinda looked like this very old one room cabin got enclosed by a larger cabin. That made me change my mind about what I was going to do with the old window frame that we hung on the living room wall (see photo) Now I am going to put curtains in that and it will appear to be part of the "old" cabin.

Anyways the wood floor would be more appropriate for the look we want-but the carpet would be fast and warm. The carpet is just a very light tan with some darker flecks of brown. We also have a deep forest green piece of carpet that could work nicely. Decisions, decisions...

Any thoughts? Here are a few photos of the room.
100_8212.JPG
100_8212.JPG
our_bedroom.jpg
our_bedroom.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 17:55

We love tile. Our entire home is tiled and so is our cabin. We use rugs here and there as desired for foot warmth, as in the bedroom and as decorative measures in other areas. Tile's easy to keep clean and is more durable than anything else. But that's just us.

But if the choice was between wood and carpet... well, we both dislike carpet with a vengenance. Carpet is a haven for dirt and crap. If you've ever pulled up an old wall to wall yourself you know how gross that can be. Carpet is okay for rentals, but that's about all, IMO.

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 18:00

I agree with MtnDon, wouldn't have carpet. We room by room went to hardwood in our house. No germs, easier to keep clean, no wet smell. Wear socks or slippers if needed.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 18:04

Carpet to me is like a rug that never gets washed. It is full of chemicals too. Carpet in a cabin just dosn't look right to me. The wood floor sounds so much nicer. Just add rugs with those grip pads where you need warmth.

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 18:42

Wood floors with area rugs.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 18:56

Carpet first because its fast then when it gets stinky take it out and put in the floors...no use wasting the carpet! Plus carpet is way warmer in -30 degree temps that are common up there!

larry
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 20:21 - Edited by: larry

i went with laminate floor for the simple fact that the cabin would be full of mud if i had carpet.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 20:40

I also think that most cabins have mice. How are you going to keep it clean?

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 21:13

Quoting: silverwaterlady
think that most cabins have mice.

Speak for yourself We have mice but they are all outside. We see traces of their travels on the porch but have never found any trace inside the cabin. In the shed yes, but I never tried to make it mouse proof. For that we use mouse proof containers.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 21:19

I also think that most cabins have mice.

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW...not my cabin...... No mice allowed

Jeepers....when did carpet get the bad reputation?? I for sure would not want it in the living room, but our bedroom will not have the same foot traffic.

At home we take our shoes off at the door and I vacuum very, very often-I obviously know there will be a difference at the cabin but I still plan on having a vacuum there...it is kinda a compulsion of mine

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 21:21 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: MtnDon
Speak for yourself

THANK YOU MTN DON!!!! You posted while I was typing. Ick...we worked way hard to make our cabin vermin proof! We won't be doing tile because we want to use what we already have on hand-no tile stashed away.

Borrego
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 21:24

Quoting: naturelover66
Wood floors with area rugs.

+1 ..... too much sand where I am to have carpets

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 21:57

You do the carpet, I'll come get the wood.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 22:34

My cabin is all wood. The dust in the area, it would always be dirty. I just changed my entire house to wood, but the bedrooms are still carpet.

But for a cabin, wood is the way to go with a rug where you want it.

My cabin is mouseproof. I made sure of that when I built it. Its even bug proof.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 23:00

Well we did too. The mice chewed through our logs in one corner. Since they did it in nesting season and I was not there until the summer they had plenty of time in the cabin to make messes. Everything I have is in mice proof containers. If you think you're never going to get mice in your cabin you are mistaken. They can chew through just about anything.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 00:38

We have water-proof laminate. Easy to keep clean. You will be amazed how dirty the floors get in a cabin. Remember you spend most of your time outside and even when you try to be careful, you will get lots of "yuck" into the house. You can use throw rugs near the beds to keep your feet warm. The throw rugs we have are easy to clean and we hang them outside to dry.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 08:18

From a design stand point go with the wood floors and add area rug as a launch pad for cooler mornings.

From a time stand point if you don't have the time now use the carpet and hit the wood floor in the spring.

Will that bedroom floor then be higher than the living room? What is your plan at the threshold?

wakeslayer
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 10:40

I will never have carpet again. Carpet is sooo gross. We still have some in our home. Cannot stand it. Throw rugs can be cleaned, carpet really cannot. Vacuuming, and shampooing are surface treatments only.
As far as the mice proof, I really would have a hard time being convinced that you will NEVER have mice. We just found a small trace a couple weeks ago at ours. Took them 5+ years, but they found some sort of small access. We use hedgeballs in the winter time and have had great luck. Last year we were unable to find them and here we are with what we think was one mouse at some point this fall.

Montanan
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 16:00

Wood! I agree with the others who say that carpet is just like a rug that you can't clean. Wood floors with area rugs are the way to go.

Mice: I'd love to think we have a cabin tight enough that none can get in, but we have seen traces before.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:29 - Edited by: trollbridge

Thanks for all the input...except about the mice....I'm pretending I never read any of that!!!

We still are uncertain about what to do. I am leaning towards the carpet for now because it will be quick and easy and done before the baby arrives. Then later doing the wood which is going to be very time consuming-since it is old and used and has been stored out in our shed for close to 20 years it is going to need every little piece cleaned and decrudded if that is even a word!

As for the transition the two wood floors are the same height but since flooring installation is my husbands trade he can custom make whatever we would be needing so at least that is not a concern.

We just rolled out a large braided rug this weekend over the wood we just installed in the living room and I thought of you all while I was vacuuming it!!! It is nearly 50 years old- my parents bought it to go down over the wood floors I had in my bedroom when I was born- I was waiting to put it to good use again in our cabin! The picture was taken before vacuuming.
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg

Montanan
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 11:56

Love that braided rug! We have a similar, but smaller, blue one in front of our wood stove that I found at a thrift store.
If you can see through the kids and their debris.
If you can see through the kids and their debris.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 13:27

TB,

Your crate in the photo is funny. i live in Silver Creek Township

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 18:10

Montanan....so nice to have a place for the kids to play on isn't it? I am so happy to give my rug a new home and thankfully my husband liked it once it was down. Before that he kept sayin "I don't know about that-blah, blah"

wakeslayer that is funny! We slapped it together out of some old wood for our little cabin about 5 years ago. We just stenciled on the graphics to personalize it. The name of our creek is Silver Creek. Brought it to the big cabin to serve as a coffee table and storage.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 18:14

Quoting: Bevis
You do the carpet, I'll come get the wood.

Bevis did you ever strip the hardwood out of the hardware store down there? I hope you ended up with it!

larry
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 21:51

I also think that most cabins have mice.

no mice on this end.. i think it is because we keep no foor at our cabin and clean well when we leave!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 02:52 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Excuse me but my cabin is clean and there is no food left in the cabin at the end of the season.Mice are not attracted to my cabin for that reason. They are there for shelter from a harsh winter.If you think you will never have mice in a cabin in the bush you are living in a dream world. I wonder how many husbands on here do the mouse clean up and don't tell their wives? Because I know some women would never stay in a cabin if there were mice.

project_north
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 09:58

I'm intending to install click-lock cork flooring panels. It's easy to put in and warm and soft under foot.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 15:27 - Edited by: trollbridge

silverwaterlady I'm sure your cabin is clean and tidy and I also know that those disgusting little vermin are looking for shelter aaaaannd I'm positive you are correct when you say some women would never stay in a cabin if there are mice BUT so far we have had no mice in our cabin (YAY!) and I'm sure many others haven't either. Someday we certainly may, who knows?, but for now it is not a huge concern of mine (although I will always stay vigilant). First sign of a furry little invasion and they will be sorry they ever chose my cabin to take up residence in!!!!!!

Sorry if that offends anyone here...but it is how I feel! Mice are like ticks, bats and leaches...they just make me feel disgusting! Yuck!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 15:29

Quoting: project_north
I'm intending to install click-lock cork flooring panels.

I will enjoy seeing that when it is done! It will look real nice

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 19:22

Had a bat too. Had guests over one night and one of them forgot to close the sliding door all the way. So they went home and I had to deal with that for a few days before we went home. It was awful laying in bed at night and hearing the flapping of its wings around my head. We never did catch it. There is no insulation in our ceiling and so many exposed rafters. A perfect hiding place. I had to tell myself that because we are deep in the bush that stuff like this is going to happen and to just accept it.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.