Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Planning the water system
jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 14:26

Anyone have a good diagram for a water system layout? Here are the points I am planning on using:

1 - 2500 gallon rainwater collection tank

2 - 330 gallon 'tote' that will MANUALLY be filled from the 2500 gallon tank as needed and have a manual bleed valve between it and the 2500 gallon tank.

3 - 1hp pressure pump

4 - 20 gallon pressure tank

5 - whole house water filter

6 - 2.3gpm Tankless water heater (electric)

This will runs:

1 - Kitchen sink
2 - Bathroom sink
3 - Toilet
4 - Shower

The shower will be a push-button on/off nozel to conserve water

We do not have a well, just a very large tank :P I do not want to run directly from the 2500 gallon tank so that if there is a pipe break or leak, we do not drain the entire 2500 gallons.

I figured to install a manyal drain on each aspect of the system to ensure we do not leave water that can freeze

Any drawings of what you have or assistance would be great

Thank you!

Russ

Martian
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 17:20

The weak link is the valve you use at the big tank if it is subject to freezing temps. I use a small (220gal)tank to transport water. When I left a little in the tank, and it dropped just below freezing, the valve was inoperable. I had to use a heat gun to slowly thaw it.

Tom

jrbarnard
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 18:39

I'll make sure to get valves that won't freeze.. heh, thanks!

I'm not sure what type of valve that might be, but I will at the very least make sure it is sturdy enough not to break if it does freeze.

Russ

Martian
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 19:00

If its a hard freeze, even bronze valves crack. I'd try to find some way to insulate it.

Tom

jrbarnard
# Posted: 9 Nov 2012 13:51

Oh, I am going to insulate the stuff. I mean, I can also be too diligent.. heh.. I am just trying to isolate the larger tank.

The 330 gallon tote will be in a shed that is also insulated and I plan to have a solar powered heater in there.. not much of one.. just enough to keep it above freezing.

That will be my "pump" room.. heh

Thanks!

R

Just
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 15:18

you do not need a 1 hp pump..a 1\2 is lots ,will pump more than you need because you are not pumping from a will..

jrbarnard
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 15:38

Well, I opted for a pump that will not have to work as hard for $20 more, but I hear ya.

R

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.