Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Need some wiring help
jrbarnard
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 13:42

Okay.. hope there are wire experts here.. heh

The electrical poles were installed and I have a small issue:

It has taken me a year to get the electrical lines installed and these "people" screwed it up...they installed the meter loop pole on the old cabin 15ft from the cabin, but on the NEW one, it is like 75 ft away. I think they did it out of spite.. but who cares...

So, I have 187 ft of 3/0 THHN copper wiring. It WOULD have been plenty to do both cabins with.. but not so much. So.. my solution is to spent almost $1000 on copper 3/0 to do it all, or to buy aluminum.

I am assuming that I will need #300 aluminum wiring, if it will even fit...no idea of the size issue, or I will lose amperage over the 75 ft.

I THINK I can go with 3 lines of #300 and one neutral line of #250... or all 4 lines being #300.. *shrug)

I can find all sorts of info on 4/0 aluminum, but nothing I understand on #300, and definitely no pricing on #300 aluminum.

Also...my cabin is on top of rock rock and more rock.. trenching it would be a ...let's just say not easy. Can I conduit it all and stake the conduit or do I really need to conduit and trench it also? (I prefer conduit no matter but will JUST do one or the other if that is the norm.. I just feel strange just burying the wires..

Thanks..

R

oh.. 200 amp meter loop.

countryred
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 19:06

4/0 alum will handle 200 amps just fine at 75 feet. buy URD wire and put it in conduit with all those rocks around.
4/o urd has 2-4/0's and 1-2/0 . It should run you about 2.50 per foot.
Put it in 2-1/2" Pvc. It will fit into 2" but is a pain.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 07:20

Welp.. better yet, I got the electric company to agree that they would move the pole closer.. so, the pole will be under 15ft, which means I have enough 3/0 copper to run both lines.

All is well!

TY!

Russ

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 17:54

Good deal! Strongly recommend that you go with plastic conduit between the pole and your cabin.Don't trust just burring your wire in the dirt.( I found that out the hard way,once)

jrbarnard
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 01:49

oh, I agree totally. I plan to do conduit no matter how short or long a distance they have to run.

Russ

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.