Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Overhang question re: Ontario rules
Raven
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:22

Hey, fellow Ontarians. Am planning to build a 100 sq ft cabin but want to know if an overrhang for deeper loft space is counted as additional square footage.

Rossman
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:28

Overhang is not...but if you are building @ 100sq.ft. to avoid permits, be warned that you cannot build a 100sq.ft. shed/cabin until the property has a primary residence on it.

Furthermore, 100sq.ft. shed type units are not designed for nor allowed for human habitation.

We need a huge notice at the top of this forum pointing this out, this really seems to be a common misunderstanding.

Raven
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:45

Am building on skids to eventually move to where 1000 sq. ft home will be built.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 13:27

Quoting: Rossman
shed type units are not designed for nor allowed for human habitation.

We need a huge notice at the top of this forum pointing this out, this really seems to be a common misunderstanding.

Many times I believe it is a willing misunderstanding; done by those who want it to be true to enable a legal means of fulfilling the dream.

~~~~

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 13:32 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Quoting: Rossman
you cannot build a 100sq.ft. shed/cabin until the property has a primary residence on it.

Rossman,

In Ontario, these rules are on per-township basis, not across the entire province.
I had specifically inquired about my situation at the local township office, and got a clear answer - I can build up to 10 sq m structure (approx 100 sq ft) without primary residence (provided it's at a certain min distance from the property boundary and water shore).
Also, to my knowledge, the rules in the far Northern Ontario townships are even less restrictive.

Don't know if considerable overhang is counted as additional square footage.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 16:33

Raven,Since the laws in Ontario vary you need to go to the municipality where you property is located and ask them.

My property is in Northern Ontario in a unincorporated twp. I had to get a building permit and I was not allowed to build a shed until my cabin was built. For 25 years I brought camping gear over the border every holiday. That was a lot of work.

I obeyed the laws because I did not want to get on the bad side of the planning committee.Do that and you will be under the radar forever. People in small towns don't forget and once you soil your reputation it will be ruined forever...

Rossman
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 16:36

Ah, I had thought they may be less restrictive in like, unorganized townships, but seemed like almost everyone had the same experience in most of the mentioned ontario townships on this forum!

Anyway, always best to check with the local municipal office to be sure what the rules are!

My cousin did a "under the building permit sized" cabin in Nova Scotia, and thought he was ok...but a building inspector from the town came by, not even looking for anything at their property, he was just looking for the people's property behind theirs and happened to see his "shed" and shut him down straightaway!

Anyway Raven sorry if I misled you, or misunderstood what you were up to!

bc thunder
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 20:20

I have property in northern Ontario, Unorganized township, no restrictions (other than septic close to water) no building permits needed. But everything still must be to code, of course.

davey25
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 23:31

You can always say its your ice hut..

creeky
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 09:00

or your chicken coop

felineman
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 19:21

To answer the original question YES overhangs on a porch do count, overhangs for roofing don't so long as they don't have a deck or structure under the overhang. This applies to all ONTARIO building zones.

old243
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 09:43

We have a camp in an unorganized township. We have never got a building permit. There is a roads board and we pay taxes to it and the school board . We are good neighbors and don't get on the wrong side of any of the locals. Support the local Lions club in their fundraising. I think the big mistake a lot of people make , is appear and act like an outsider. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.