Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Antique oak stain
Shadyacres
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 21:17

Did anyone ever use antique oak stain ? I am trying to find where I might purchase some for my ceiling. Thanks, Mike

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 21:32

Not sure exactly what you mean. Minwax makes a lot of different stain colors, is that the type of stain you are looking for or did you have one of those antique wash type finishes in mind?

Shadyacres
# Posted: 20 Feb 2014 22:18

Member dfossum ( My ohio cabin stated that he used antique oak stain on his ceiling and posted a pic of it and I really like the look but he has not answered me yet as to where he got it and I was just checking to see if anyone else used it and what brand it was.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Feb 2014 12:30

Beware of trusting photos when you choose stains or make any kind of color decision. I guarantee that if you bought that brand and tried it, it would look different than the photo. But, if you could find what brand he used, obviously that's a good start. But I suggest you get a bunch of boards and different kinds of stain, make tests and look at the real thing.

By the time you look at a photo on the internet, it has gone through the filter of the camera that took the photo and then how your computer alters the coloring when it reproduces the photo. What you see ain't what you get. Virtual reality is distorted reality

dk1393
# Posted: 22 Feb 2014 16:42

DFOSSOM used Minwax Early American 230. I also liked the look of it and have stained the floors and cabinets with it. It is a beautiful look with the stain.

Just
# Posted: 22 Feb 2014 19:20

this is Minwax early American but it depends how much you use and how long you leave it before wiping it off .. and what kind of wood you have. we like this but to each their own ..
000_0003.JPG
000_0003.JPG

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Feb 2014 20:23 - Edited by: bldginsp

I once spilled some dark coffee on a freshly sanded tabletop and liked it so much I stained the whole thing with it.

If you want a lighter, oaky type stain, add milk

missouriboy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2014 22:04

If you like the dark rich brown of craftsman style furniture I have had good luck mixing equal parts of Minwax walnut and red mahogany. It looks great on oak. Whatever you decide try it on a scrap piece of wood that you would use it on. It will look different on different wood species.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.