Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / To purlin or not to purlin. That is the question.
rmak
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 16:54 - Edited by: rmak

My buddy and I might try to install a metal roof on my small cabin. I've watched roofers install metal on our barn and one of our outbuildings. I also am becoming a Youtube expert on the subject.

My question is, do I really need to put on purlins? It's such a small roof area that I'm thinking we could just put in more screws and just put the metal over the existing roof, which is in fine straight shape. We'd be drilling into the 1/2 sheeting and I'm sure we'd hit a rafter or two along the way.

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 17:14

I went over an existing shingled roof with standard galvanized roofing on an addition to the back of my house, also has 1/2" sheething and had 2 layers of shingles on it.....I used longer screws and didn't bother looking for rafters, although like you mentioned , you will hit one now and then....that was 18 years ago and never leaked or pulled up from wind. Roof is 20' x 36..

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 17:23

Totally agree with VTweekender.

Tom

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 18:39

A habitable building will have a better roof if the rafters are sheathed and then the metal applied without purlins. The best would be sheathed with 5/8 ply/osb to provide more grip for the screws. But many a metal roof in my neighborhood is laid over 7/16"

neckless
# Posted: 2 Apr 2014 14:42

most IMPORTANT do over tighten screws they will leak ..use the cluth on you drill set just right .. if u over tighten if u look u will see the rubber washer split

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Apr 2014 23:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My roof is sheeted, then with a 15lb felt on it, layered to shed water, then the metal roof is right on top of that with screws in the valleys, not ridge. Mine was installed by a professional roofer. No leaks, been flawless.

Ignore the rafter location, you want to make all screws straight both horizontally and vertically. If its random, its very noticeable looking up at it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.