Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Moved
hct4all
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 12:46

Hi. I was at the cabin yesterday making sure all was well for our trip up this upcoming weekend. PA trout season opener! Everything appeared great. It seemed like the new deck moved a little(The railing is not quite straight like it was when I built it in September but I assume that since we had the worst winter ever the frost line was really deep.

When inside I noticed that the stove pipe was about a 1/2" highter than it should be. I went under the camp to look an it appears that cabin is not setting on the center pier. There are 9 piers that the camp(24' X 20') sits on. They are brick and about 24" X 24". I never noticed this before but.... I do not go up in the winter and usually by March/April our weather is way better than it was this year. If I use the stove this weekend I will have to jack up the center of the camp and put a spacer on the pier. Should I leave it that way or take it back out so everything settles normally? This is the winter that will not end. The low in Tionesta PA was 19 yesterday. The camp was sitting on all the other piers. I am assuming since it is dead center There is no moisture to raise up that pier.

Thanks,

Rick

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 18:09

Rick, are your piers on top the ground? I never build with three beams on top of the ground. The center one moves different than the outside ones.

Owen

hct4all
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:03

Owen,

I am pretty sure there is a foundation of somesort that goes underground. I purchased the camp in '99 and it was about 20 years old at the time. It dosent seem like it is really hurting anything, it just has me a bit worried.

hct4all
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:07

Here are a few pics of the new deck
Front View
Front View
Side View
Side View

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:14

Well I guess you have some lift on some alright. You might be right about the center blocking not having as much moisture around the blocking. That's opposite of what I see around here. On buildings that have a center row of blocking, the ground stays frozen the longest and thus. a hump in the floor. Let's just hope nothing get really damaged. I guess if you need to make adjustments, you can.

Good luck, Owen

hct4all
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:18

Is there a fixture that I could put on the block that would allow for movement?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:33

Good question. You mean like an adjustable leg? I'm not too sure. I do know it takes a long time for frost to go out in the shade.
The basics of frost posts are that hopefully they are deep enough to be below frost. Most of the time posts are pinched tight and are lifted with squeeze pressure from the top foot. Draining backfill like sand or gravel is better than clay. And the last thing, one always goes bad. That's called the rouge post. LOL. Sorry I'm not much help.

owen

hct4all
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 20:43

No problem! If I ever build from scratch I will attempt a basement. Thanks for your input.

spencerin
# Posted: 15 Apr 2014 22:30 - Edited by: spencerin

hct4all/Rick,

Roughly where is your cabin in Tionesta? Oh, you can thank me for any trout you catch because I dumped them where you could catch them.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 Apr 2014 12:29

I had the same problem with my cabin this year in Upstate NY. We had one of the coldest winter on record and what really made it stink was the duration of the cold. We had several persistant days below 0 degrees F.

I've only had this cabin 2 years but we had zero problem the first winter. My cabin is also built on 9 piers but I have no idea how deep they go into the ground. I plan to dig 4 feet down and send an inspection camera into the hole to see how deep the peer is. If it isn't 4 feet then I will need to excavate each post after temporary supporting the structure, and fill the missing void with concrete to beat the frost line. Then it will have to relevel the entire cabin. That will suck big time.

Truecabin
# Posted: 18 Apr 2014 04:12 - Edited by: Truecabin

so nothing was done for 35 years
not clear what is the problm your trying to solve
for the stove you need a slip joint in your stovepipe

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.