Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Door latch question?
neb
# Posted: 20 Apr 2014 20:11

I'm looking to make or design a door latch for the shack. I have a standard solid wood walk in door with the pre-drilled hole and meant for a conventional door knob. At the time I have a inner part that goes through the side of door that latches the door to the door frame. As it is now I really am the only one that can open the door. It is kind of a funny deal but that is what I have. It works but want to build a door latch or make some kind of latch so I can open from out side and of course from the inside. I want to use the door I have.

If you would have any ideas of a secure door latch for the shack I would appreciate it. Thanks

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 20 Apr 2014 20:46

You could just purchase a standard door knob and use the mechanism but build yourself home made handles. You just have to be able to turn the latch which I bet a person could do very easily.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Apr 2014 09:15

What you might consider is abandoning the metal latch altogether, and fashioning your own handle/latch out of twisted knots and other pieces of wood, which amounts to a lever that fits into a latch on the wall.

To lock the door, install a standard deadbolt with key.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.