Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Prefinished siding
Hunterda98
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 10:14

Does anyone have experience using prefinished siding? I plan to do board and batten siding. I had been thinking of unfinished pine planks that I would stain. But my supplier is recommending prefinished wood, at roughly double the cost. But he says I'll save in the long run on staining and labour. Any thoughts?

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 12:50

I don't see how pre finished siding saves you in the long run, particularly if you are supplying the labor. I think selling pre finished makes more money for the seller in the short run.

If you are paying others to do all the work perhaps it saves you labor costs of finishing bare wood.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 14:46

Pre-primed makes some sense to me, but even then you need to prime all the cut edges before applying the finish coat / color. More color choices if you paint it all yourself.

Stain vs paint is a matter of personal choice, but keep in mind that the more clear the finish the sooner it needs maintenance while the darker and more opaue the paint the longer between re-painting. Assuming proper preparation and application.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.