Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Idea for a large 'small cabin'
anbu_zim
# Posted: 2 Sep 2014 09:55 - Edited by: anbu_zim

Hello all!

My wife and I, our 2 year old, and our wiener dog are looking to build on our few acres of land finally.. a large 'small cabin'.

Let me explain. I love the idea of an a-frame cabin such as http://tinyhousetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/tiny-a-frame-cabin-in-the-woods-0015.jpg or http://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/adventure-journal-weekend -cabin-granite-falls-02.jpg but don't know how to build a damn thing at all!

I am an air traffic control-man/computer scientist who has a decent savings but would like to spend no more than $15-20,000 on the entire project excluding labor (which, please give estimates).

I like the above pictures but would like it to be.. a tad bigger. Those are dinky and small. Now bear with me, I don't even know to explain how big I'd like it.. maybe double the size of those ones. I assume in theory we could take the production cost of those and simply double it? I'm not sure.

Anyone know how to get started doing this? Anything I should consider before starting? What type of roof should I get (I'm in Northern Cali) and what type of wood... I guess that's all up to the contractors though, not sure.

Preferably two stories too btw.

What are the legal laws regarding these? Can we legally live in one, assuming we have solar power? What about toilet... how would we introduce running water... ?

another example: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0C HwQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyhousetalk.com%2Ftiny-a-frame-cabin-woods%2F&ei=x80FVNaRB Mz9oQSn14GwBg&usg=AFQjCNFHf_HZMzKZEqZcd0HRKh8khAorZg&sig2=SXf3GbvIAzzWUFBnpeuoOA&bvm= bv.74115972,d.cGU

a tad bit bigger than this... how much would this cost to build from scratch?

anbu_zim
# Posted: 2 Sep 2014 10:03 - Edited by: anbu_zim

double post, sorry

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Sep 2014 18:06

A frames are very common. Seems to me that with a proper blueprint, your county would approve your plans. Simple to build. I would love to help or do the whole thing but I'm on the east coast. I wish you all the best and hope that you hire a good person to do your work. The difference between a good experience and a nightmare boils down to having a good builder or a raging turd. Hence me building all my own stuff!!

Salty

anbu_zim
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 01:38

Thanks for the reply.

Buidling hands-on just isn't my thing, so I respect those who make a living out of it/do it for fun. My father was a decent builder, but I am so terribly bad that even the canvas frames I build are more like trapazoids than square. I'd be afraid to have my family live in anything I built.

Any suggestions on how I can begin going about getting this process started? Where are the blueprints located at. As stated above, I could just take the blueprints specifications and literally just double it to get my achieved size, correct?

Mainiac
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 20:38

You might need plans approved by an engineer?You better find out then get a set that is near what U want,
I think your budget at 15-20K with water and etc is only remotely possible if u build it yourself.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 20:55

Mainiac
Be nicer. You may just think that you know everything. The dude wants a cabin so my hats off. Doubling the size does change the dimensions of lumber, spacing, etc. either buy a plan for the size you desire, or take your concept to an engineer and have them design/draw it. Then to the building official in your county for review. Your budget numbers will build the shell, but probably not finish out the interior. Things do cost a lot but I won't belittle you sir.

Best!
Salty

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 21:02

I think you should look at the overall costs involved and plan carefully. Looks like you are trying to do that. You will need a septic system, or some other waste disposal. For water you can drill a well, or collect rain water, but if you want running water bathrooms in the cabin you will need a well. You don't have to have electrical, but you should check what it would cost to have that installed.

A septic will be $5-7000 minimum, a well much more, so you have already spent your $20000. Unless you are willing to accept a 'dry' cabin where you bring the water in to drink and shower.

Keep researching- be realistic- you have a lot of choices to make

anbu_zim
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 21:16

Ha, I said $20000 but I'm freakin' rich. I'm just cheap. Born in American, raised Capitalist.

Lets say I got a handy $40000 to throw down on the cabin alone, aside from property.

What are my options then?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 21:31

anbu_zim
Capitalist!! Me all the way. I'm cheap too, but don't skimp quality. Be prepared to spend dearly, but it's worth it. After all, millions on welfare are depending on you.

Salty

Shadyacres
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 22:05

I had my well drilled in PA for about 2500 , 120 ft deep with 80 ? ft of steel casing.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.