Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Any info on my log cabin (Santa Cruz Mountains)
California_cabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 12:28

Hi everyone!

We are located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, California. I have searched the Internet but found no info about our cabin. County records have varying dates of when it was built. The dates range from 1914 to 1920.

There are several other cabins in our neighborhood that have the same exact logs. Unfortunately, the people that own those cabins don't know any history either. We found a spare log in the basement and it appears to be made of redwood...not cedar.

Does any know who might have made my cabin? Or where I might be able to find out any info on the manufacturer?

I'll post pictures for reference.

Thank you!

California_cabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 12:31 - Edited by: California_cabin

Here are some photos...

URL

URL

VTweekender
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 18:22 - Edited by: VTweekender

To me, the pics look way to precision to be 1914.......they are tongue and groove halved logs, the nicely fit joints look way to good for that era, I would actually guess within the last 20 years, could be totally wrong ..very nice though.....enjoy.

Don_P
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 19:14 - Edited by: Don_P

Hard to tell species from the pic. It looks like it could be a Pan Abode log... not sure of their start date.

Milling equipment capable of that type of work was available then. I have a 1927 Vonnegut (yup Kurt's grandad) 4 head molder that was capable of patterns like that up to 6x12.

California_cabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 22:31 - Edited by: California_cabin

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Here are 2 photos of the spare log which luckily is still in raw form.

Photo #1 – front side
URL

Photo #2 – backside showing circular blade cuts
URL

We live in the redwood forest (Santa Cruz Mountains). So based on the abundance of redwoods in the area, it is not surprising that our entire home is built of redwood logs.

Don_P's comment about the 4 head molder made me think. Perhaps in the 1920's a local sawmill made a handful of cabin kits for the locals...not some big time company. Maybe that's why I can't find any info on the internet.

We are not too far from where a redwood sawmill company that existed in 1800s. Too bad it no longer exists for me to inquire there.

I'll reach out to Pan Adobe and see if they have any info. Thanks again!

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 10:35

There are two local lumber cutting operations in the Santa Cruz area that have been there for a long time- Big Creek Lumber and Scarborough Lumber. They both mill redwood, and may have some older owners or employees that remember things like this from the past. Might be worth checking them out.

California_cabin
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 10:48

Hi bldginsp,

Great idea! We visit Scarborough Lumber often. That's our "go to" place for us. I'll inquire there as well as Big Creek Lumber.

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 20:13

Wow, they look like TREX type logs, ie plastic looking. Interesting design. Never seen or even heard of that style.

California_cabin
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 21:37 - Edited by: California_cabin

Hi toyota_mdt_tech,

Unfortunately the multiple layers of paint on the exterior of logs have made the logs look like plastic. We have people make that same comment to us before. Not sure why people feel the need to paint over beautiful wood. If we have the time, energy, and money, we would remove the paint.

The photo that I posted above shows how the log looks without the paint.
URL

We have been in our cabin for about 9 years now. We bought it from a gentlemen who lived in the cabin since the early 1970s. When he passed away, his kids didn't want it. Other than the multiple layers of paint on the exterior, it was in OK shape.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.