Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Small cabin questions
jjgrappler
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 11:23

I am looking at bulding a small 12x16 cabin on my property. I was looking at this plan. Mainly my question was he just placed the board and batten over the 2x4 nailers and then insulated from the inside. Would that work in PA or would I get too much air in the cabin? Also would you guys recommend pressure treated for the floor joists?

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-12x20-Cabin-on-a-Budget/?ALLSTEPS

VTweekender
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 11:43

For the floor joist question, if the joists are going to be within 18 inches of the ground then it is recommended to use treated lumber. As for the board and batten, the construction of that building looks to be pole barn construction, and it should be fine the way the nailers are used, and should not effect air getting into the cabin, use a vapor barrier as well.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 12:08

Needs better ventilation under the floor.

jjgrappler
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 12:19

What would you recommend for the vapor barrier? Should it be under the 2x4 nailers? I planned on pouring concrete piers and putting 4x4 cinder block things on top of them.

Don_P
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 13:39 - Edited by: Don_P

Things I would do a bit differently,
there should be footings under the posts to spread the load out from the small post end. The posts should extend down to those footings without additional hinges in the path from footing to top of wall.
There should be girder rims supporting the joists rather than a single rim joist. This is a beam carrying several joists in the span between posts... it needs to be more than just a joist itself. Those girders need to be attached to the posts by something other than simply nailing or bolting them on the side of the post. Either supported on blocking from the foundation or a hanger capable of the load.
The rafters either need ceiling joists to restrain their spreading tendency or the ridge needs to be built and supported as a beam, neither is happening now.
There is no rack bracing currently, either plywood sheathing, diagonal board sheathing, diagonal simpson strap coil.

You can cover the frame with tyvek or similar before the B&B siding to provide an air barrier if you do go with single wall construction.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.