Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin design suggestions
BryanL
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 19:39

Have decided due to costs, time frame and limited help I am going to buy one of those portable cabins you see from the Amish. I keep going back and forth between a porch cabin and a lofted barn cabin. I like the look of the barn and the idea of a loft but am not sure if I am missing any issues that could arise. I like the front porch cabins for their simplicity. Anyone have an opinion or a reason on which way to go?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 22:35 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

check out http://www.townandcountryplans.com

Then you can get an idea of what you want by looking at all the designs they have. I bought and built my cabin from their plans.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 09:30

It would be best if you had at least 2x6 rafters for insulation value. Most of the barn styles don't have them. Also if there is a chance you might add on someday, have them use long enough skids to do that without a joint in the skids.

Owen

adakseabee
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 14:36

I like covered porches. They are like an outside living room with a roof to keep the rain and hot summer sun off of my head while I'm chillin'.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 08:22

If your building a "Barn Style" / Gambrel Roof here is a web-tool that simplifies life a Great Deal:
Gambrel Roof Geometry Calculator

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 10:24

Steve, great website, I bookmarked that one. Its got loads more than just gambrel roofs. Thanks for the link!

smallworks
# Posted: 6 May 2015 23:36

Quoting: OwenChristensen
It would be best if you had at least 2x6 rafters for insulation value.

We used Adirondack Storage Barns, an Amish outfit in North Lawrence & Chateaugay. They were flexible and we were able to get 2x6 construction, and a slightly different porch arrangement so we could add on to it. They also constructed the cabin on top of a 4' foundation we laid up. Definitely go with a porch. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to accommodate you with a loft-style cabin & a porch, though you could probably add one later ?
If they offer metal roofs, go for one. I don't know how large your camp will be, but try to have 2 entries in case of emergency. We basically bought the box and are doing everything else. Completely satisfied with it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.