Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Design
anortheastlife
# Posted: 5 Nov 2014 09:31

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a good resource for designing and planning a cabin. We have a clear picture of what we want to build, not a cabin in the "tiny house" genre, but rather something more functional as this will be our primary residence. We are living in Eastern Georgia right now, but are planning to relocate back to the North East... Upstate NY, VT, NH, or PA. Thanks.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Nov 2014 10:41

Look at http://www.townandcountryplans.com and find a size suitable and then use some white out to adjust the plans, then submit to bldg department. Its what I did. That way, you dont have to worry about spans, lumber sizes etc,

KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 10:31 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Just thought I'd post a site showing a lot of old house styles from a time long gone.

Scroll down the link...
http://www.bigpoint.com/risingcities/board/threads/mcm-area-or-mistery-buildings-new- season.38496/

We have a few surviving A-frames around here. I never liked them much but when I see the drawings, I think the problem is with making them too small or narrow and then walling in the ends. The all glass end (gable?) shown looks surprisingly nice to me.

Im back.

A quick google image search of A-frame cabins, lodges, etc turns up loads of rather ugly buildings. It really does seem that they need to be built with floor to ceiling glass and be rather big to appear at their best.

Note the photos and comments on this page.
http://luneblog.com/blog/2012/12/70s-style-mountain-house.html

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 13:28

Designing and planning a cabin.
Some thoughts.

Wood stove centered for omni-directional heat or,
Wood stove on exterior wall w/ outside air pipe
Wood stove stack exit near roof peak.
Wood stove masonry heat sink.
2x6 walls and spray insulation.
Porch
Metal Roof
No plumbing in exterior walls.
14" wide, casement double pane windows
Metal entry door w/ metal jamb and latch bolt guard

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 14:07 - Edited by: bldginsp

If it's going to be a full time residence, it's going to be large enough to require engineering or proper light frame design. Hiring a design professional to do this for you is very expensive but you end up with a customized design that suits your needs. If you don't want to go that route, I agree with Toyota who said find pre-engineered designs and pick from them. If you don't know anything about building design, anything larger than a simple small cabin is too much to take on, unless you want to spend a lot of time pouring over a lot of books. Pre-engineered designs are not cheap, I think they charge like $5-800 for them, but that's far cheaper and easier than the alternatives.

Check this out

http://www.houseplans.com/plan/1891-square-feet-3-bedrooms-2-bathroom-craftsman-home- plans-2-garage-32519

A sort of half way alternative is to find a design-build contractor. This is a contractor who designs a simple building for you using the rules of light frame construction rather than an engineered design. You won't get a fancy architectural design, but a simple practical building.

There are various books available on house design, you should at least get an idea of how large a building you want, number of rooms, perhaps a simple sketched plan before you approach anyone.

Do you plan to build yourself or hire it out?

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 14:34

Be aware that like many things being sold on the internet, not all plans are a good buy. They are many being advertised on the internet, heck even in books you can buy, that do not meet the building codes that blanket the country. As a full time residence you can not avail yourself of the very few locations that have recreational property exemptions for certain things.

When looking at designs and plans one dead giveaway as to whether or not the design will meet building code enforcement is the presence of piers or posts being used as the foundation. You see a lot of those, but none of them meet building code requirements unless an engineer blesses the plans. You can get away with them at times when the permit process is sidestepped. Certain risks abound there.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 21:18

My builder offers an engineered plan and architectural design service for $600. It's building, design, Oregon code-specific with all sorts of drawings and details I will take to the county building department. With that Oregon Engineer's stamp, of course. Well worth the cost, IMO.

SteveF
# Posted: 11 Dec 2015 08:31

Check out my posts on the forum...
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_4565_1.html

I literally used OpenOffice to design the building but worked with a local builder as well.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 23:56

Stunning garage-to-cabin conversion enjoys sweeping Puget Sound views
A Seattle-based design firm best known for its repurposed cardboard creations tries its hand at small-scale adaptive reuse with absolutely gorgeous results. When can I move in?

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling-design/blogs/stunning-garage-to-cabin-convers ion-enjoys-sweeping-puget-sound

anortheastlife
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 09:28

Thanks for all the replies and links everyone.

anortheastlife
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 09:29

... as you can see it's been sometime since I've been on here. Great to be back.

Nate R
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 12:52

Welcome back! Where are you in the plan/build cycle now?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.