Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cost Of Connecting Utilities
bherron1985
# Posted: 20 Nov 2014 20:43

I am looking at land in Red River, NM and would like to know what everyone has paid in order to connect town utilities to your cabin (water, electricity, sewer). It appears most of the lots I'm looking at are within 100' or so from the hookups. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

NhLiving
# Posted: 20 Nov 2014 21:00

I have heard of some utility companies that will run the cables for free, granted you dig and lay your own conduit. That's about all i know.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Nov 2014 22:44 - Edited by: bldginsp

It varies from location to location. The electric utility where I am charges $21 per foot to extend their lines, for me that's $20-25,000 or so. I'm off grid but just close enough that maybe it's possible.

But you'll have to ask the providers in your area, info from other areas may be completely different. Ask A LOT of questions, and then ask MORE. Talk to a neighbor who has actually done it.

SonnyB
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 16:05

Where I am in north GA they are $5 a foot for them to dig the line and install it. Water line is about the same.

countryred
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 18:26

Electric is about $5 a foot at our place. Getting power in March. That is without a minimum billing charge. We could get it cheaper but more on the monthly bill. That includes poles, wire, and metered disconnect. 300' x 5.00 = $1500.

We don't have water or sewer utilities nearby. We are getting a rain water catchment tank and building a lagoon system.

neb
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 20:40

Buried line will run about 9$ a foot here and that be for primary or secondary wire. Pole would be 8$ a foot. Here you pay for transformer and a 10 KVA transformer will supply a small cabin etc. A 10KVA can is 1000$ plus the footage x price. The meter base/disconnect is your cost also. A 200AMP meter base/disconnect here will cost you about 300$ and a meter loop/disconnect built will run you about 700$. These are costs in my area. You will be responsible for electrical permit which PC will need an affidavit of.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 20:53

The cost will vary if its a public owned utility (PUD) or a privately owned.
I am 1/4 mile os 1,320 feet to get it to my SW corner, its buried and cost for that run is $13,000. To run it to my cabin, they go in as far as 300 feet for a reasonable cost (PUD) but thee is also a $2800 capacity charge (hook up fee to cover upgrading the line to the area as it grows) and if I ever retire there, I will want power.

tiny_acres
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 21:32

I am running utilities now to my property.I am in East Texas.
Electric will cost me $1500 for a dressed pole installed.
No charge to run the wires from road to pole if with in 600 feet.
Water company wants $2050 for just the meter.Not counting
running the pipe to my cabin.
I have to have a septic tank 1000 gallon installed with over $600
in permits alone and being inspected by the county would be $3800.
I own over 10 acres so I do not need inspection on septic.Nor will I need a 1000 gallon tank anymore sense the county does not care on parcels over 10 acres.I am going with 500 gallon installed with 200 feet of field lines for $2100.

I checked into a well instead of public water and it will cost approx. $7,000-12,000..A tough one to swallow.

I hope this helps

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 23:52

tinyacres, the $2100 for your water is a smoking deal compared to the alternative. I have $8000 into my well (hole in ground) and just bought the solar set up for $2100. But this is just a livestock type well to have running water at the well head only with the flip of an electrical switch. Not even plumbed to the cabin. That will require the underground vault, pressure tank etc.

No charge to run wires from pole to meter is a great deal. Is that a public owned utility?

tiny_acres
# Posted: 6 Dec 2014 06:35

The electricity is from an electric co-op.
I find the meter price extremely high. But I am a cheap skate.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Dec 2014 21:45

Quoting: tiny_acres
I find the meter price extremely high. But I am a cheap skate.

It does sound high. I am in a home I started from scratch (my residence, not cabin) and I paid $400 for my water meter. That was in 1990. Inflation I guess.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 7 Dec 2014 16:47

Check w/power co. Where I am they give a 3k credit to bring it in above or under ground...underground you have to dig the trench. Cost less to go above ground so can go deeper into the property with that credit above ground. Water would be a well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.