Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Installing Chimney Through Pole Building Roof
ClimberKev
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 10:58

I plan to install a chimney for a wood stove in a new pole building on my property. I'm having trouble figuring out how run the pipe (flashing) through the roof and seal it up due to the ribbed nature of the steel roof sheeting. Has anyone come up with a way to lay the flashing down on the lower side of the chimney so it seals?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
111413_019.jpg
111413_019.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 14:11

Do a search for Dektite or simply silicone chimney flashing

ClimberKev
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 14:47

Thanks MtnDon. I also checked with a local fireplace dealer and he mentioned using a malleable flashing. Dektite/silicone looks to be a good solution.

Thanks again!

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 20:15

The chimney pipe manufacturers, like Duravent, make different roof flashings to fit their chimneys. The malleable variety is called dead soft aluminum and is very expensive. I will soon be doing the same thing on ribbed metal roofing and opted for a galvanized flashing from Duravent. The galvanized steel is stiff but I've seen photos of such an installation, and you just screw it down as best as possible and then fill the gaps at the bottom to keep the critters out.

If you use the silicon type make sure it is designed for woodstove chimneys and can take the high heat involved.

Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.