Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Kenora 2 modified
tiny_acres
# Posted: 6 Dec 2014 20:36

Hey y'all Tiny Acres from Texas here.
I have a lil' bit of land. (30.14 acres) pretty much farmland with a
small pond.Not much but I love it.We are planning on framing up a cabin come February or March.Right now it will be for weekends and vacations but we want it for my wife and I's retirement home.

We have ordered the Kenora 2 plans from townandcountryplans.com.My intentions are to increase the size from the tiny lil' 12x14 to a more livable 20x20.

I will not be using the crawl space foundation that is suggested but pier and beam instead.
I also plan on 2x6 walls instead of the 2x4.Finishing off the exterior with hardieboard lapsiding.
I am hoping to keep the exterior shell to a cost of less than $8,000.Is this realistic?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Dec 2014 21:43

Tiny Acres, I built one of their cabins too. Mine was the Whitehorse. I did use the full footing/stemwall. My concern was keeping out varmints and deleting the exterior crawl space access, I have loads of extra secure, cool dry storage too. Something to consider.

tiny_acres
# Posted: 18 Dec 2014 08:33

I will not be building the Kenora as planned.

My brother passed away from cancer yesterday and I have decided
That life is too dadgummed short to wait.
So I am going today to purchase a cabin shell.Then have it delivered.

My brother and I have talked about a cabin for years.I am not going to live my life waiting for something that will take too long to enjoy.I am going to get started asap.I feel I owe this to him to live out his and my's dream.

Life is short enjoy what is left.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Dec 2014 08:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Sorry to hear about your brother. Too bad he isnt there to see your cabin operational. I lost my twin brother in 2000. He would of love my cabin and acreage. I always think, each time I make an improvement, "I wish he was here to see this". We used to talk all the time, keep each other updated with things going on in our lives. Of course, being a twin, he loved the exact same things as I did, basically a carbon copy.

Sorry for your loss. But it makes on realize, life is too short, move ahead and enjoy your place.

creeky
# Posted: 20 Dec 2014 11:52

There are a lot of reasons I live off grid and enjoy a lazy misbegotten life. But my stepdad Al passing (cancer) two weeks before he was to retire is one of the big ones. He was one of my best friends.

He was also an electrician. Now, whenever I do something electrical, I can hear him laughing (he was always laughing) over my shoulder and giving me directions so that I do it right.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.