Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation under cabin
<< . 1 . 2 .
Cowracer
# Posted: 19 Oct 2015 17:02

Anyone ever try Mine Foam?

Its basically a bulk container of Great Stuff foam with an 11 foot applicator hose. We had it by the pallet when I worked at a lead smelter. Very tough stuff when cured, I know of a couple room air conditioners stuffed into oversize holes and held in place with just mine foam.

URL

Its about $215 for the 180 board feet kit (1 inch thick)

I know if rodents tried to chew through it, they would wind up with broken teeth. LOL.

Tim

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Oct 2015 17:22

Perhaps I missed it when I read the web page and data sheets, but it seems to be a sealant rather than an insulator. I don't see any R-value claims for it.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 12:29

I insulated my floor during construction. I nailed a 1"x 4" to the bottom of the joists. Cut and installed some scrap plywood to fill in the bottom of the bays. We then insulated with 2 layers of R12 fiberglass insulation. I like to use 2 layers of r12 instead of 1 layer of r 24 because I like to cover of where the insulation batts meet. As MTN Don mentioned you want to have this clad to weather asap to keep the insulation dry.

ronaldlar
# Posted: 9 Feb 2019 14:42

TheWildMan

Hi - So if I understand what you did - rather than playwood skirting around the underside of your cabin, you instead used R5 Insulation panels and put two layers with spacing in between? How did you secure them and keep the 8inches betwent them with wooden block?

What about rodents digging under squeezing around same and living under camp?

Is your floor of camp insulated?

I have a cabin in Western Maine on a lake and have either block in and or insulate floor - concerned about rodents and avoiding moisture and rot etc.

Let me know,

Thanks much,

Ron

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.